Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Part number for 12 5/8 inch landing light lens?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Part number for 12 5/8 inch landing light lens?

2B1B434F-FF5B-4CA2-A685-72715D08EFC6.jpegMy Ď56 PA22 sn 22-4121 landing light lens looks to be about 12 5/8 inches to maybe 12 and three-quarter inches wide. I went to Univair and they list two for Pipers. One is 14 inches and the other is 13 3/4 inches. The 14 inch one is only 66 bucks. Maybe I just buy that one and cut it down if it has the right leading edge curvature. Does anyone know what the correct part number is for mine?
    Thanks,
    Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Part number for 12 5/8 inch landing light lens?

In the process of replacing my lens, I found I had to get one for an earlier PA-22. In my logbook there's an entry that says (only), "Left wing replaced with serviceable unit." OK.....

My guess is my left wing is from a '55 PA-22, as the lens listed for my '56, SN 3868, was too long --or maybe too short -- don't remember for sure. What I do recall is that the one that was supposed to fit my '56 would definitely not have fit.

The lens I ordered --and I'll have to dig for the records/invoice for the part #-- did fit, which was for a pre-'56 wing, my guess is a 1955 version, which was a 13-rib wing. In any case, no cutting was necessary on the 14"+ lens I got.

So my suggestion -- check dimensions for other years' lenses; you may well find one that fits with little or no cutting.

DSC06444.jpg DSC06445.jpg
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 08-12-2021 at 06:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    In the process of replacing my lens, I found I had to get one for an earlier PA-22. In my logbook there's an entry that says (only), "Left wing replaced with serviceable unit." OK.....

My guess is my left wing is from a '55 PA-22, as the lens listed for my '56, SN 3868, was too long --or maybe too short -- don't remember for sure. What I do recall is that the one that was supposed to fit my '56 would definitely not have fit.

The lens I ordered --and I'll have to dig for the records/invoice for the part #-- did fit, which was for a pre-'56 wing, my guess is a 1955 version, which was a 13-rib wing. In any case, no cutting was necessary on the 14"+ lens I got.

So my suggestion -- check dimensions for other years' lenses; you may well find one that fits with little or no cutting.

DSC06444.jpg DSC06445.jpg
    Walt, are you saying you have one 13 rib wing and one 12 rib wing? There is no way that would be an approved installation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Metalized wing...pretty stout compared to a fabric covered wing..even if one is a 12 rib and the other is a 13 rib wing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

No, absolutely not -- sorry for the misleading comment. What I meant was, when I realized I apparently had two different year wings, it was suggested that I immediately check to see that they were BOTH 13-rib wings... which they were. (I breathed a sigh of relief after that!)

But moyle's right, metalizing those wings really made them stiff. Several years ago I had a crack in one of the rib diagonals that my A&P found; he had me literally hang on the wingtip and push & pull up & down while he observed the crack -- there was no movement at all. (Since then it's been repaired.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A lot of Short Wings had the landing light installed in the field and I have seen them installed in several different rib bays. There is a drawing and I believe it is on the SWPC drawing CD showing parts and which rib bay for each model. I will have to look for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Univair shows different lengths which changed about mid serial numbers. Just by chance I recently built a mold for making a lens for my plane. I've made myself a spare and several more for my AP. I was going to offer out the mold to whoever might have a use for it, then send it back to Steve if he wants to keep it for passing around. Univair also mentions one of our available lenses through them also fits Cubs too. The PA12 my AP is working on uses the same profile but is about two inches longer so I was planning to make one for that before saying I'm done with the mold. I also wanted to check with Steve before adding to his burdens before sending this thing out to somewhere to begin passing around. Univair looking for $65-$85 was all the incentive I needed, plus I'm cheap, talented, and retired.

So, if you've got a little time to hold off I could send it off to you to start a circulation.

Lens-01.jpgLens-02.jpg

About twelve minutes @250 after plugging the plexiglass into an angle, the plastic folds itself over as shown. A little massage and a stick against the floppy edge and it's done.
    Last edited by Jim; 08-13-2021 at 08:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    A lot of Short Wings had the landing light installed in the field and I have seen them installed in several different rib bays. There is a drawing and I believe it is on the SWPC drawing CD showing parts and which rib bay for each model. I will have to look for it.
    Itís there.there is one for PA11, 12, 15, 16, 17, and 20 (maybe even early 22), and another for PA-22. I looked yesterday to see if the lens drawing is there, but it isnít.

Just a note, there is someone that sells lenses on eBay, and Dakota Cub also sells lenses. I got the entire landing light kit to go in my right wing from Dakota Cub for about 1/3 of what Univair gets for theirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am game Jim.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve!

I just picked up five plexiglass drops from our hardware store for ten bucks, five lenses. Michigan right now is dealing through a 91% customer power outages from our two storms this week but as soon as I can fold over these five I can send this thing off to wherever.