Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elevator gap seal tape

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Elevator gap seal tape

I'm with Gilbert on his comments....
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone using gap seal tape on their Shortwing elevator/rudder gaps? Pics? What product, specifically?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maule sells a kit with a heavy clear tape and adhesive promoter. I was working in Fairbanks one spring for a friend who worked on the Alaska State Troopers Super Cubs. They had installed the tape and the pilot told me that was the best thing they had done since VGs. I have the Cub Crafters rubber seals on my Super Cub and they have been on there so long I have forgotten how it flew before. Guess I need to pull them off and see. Not sure on the Pacer or Tri-Pacer, always seemed to have plenty of elevator authority but would be an interesting experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Maule sells a kit with a heavy clear tape and adhesive promoter. I was working in Fairbanks one spring for a friend who worked on the Alaska State Troopers Super Cubs. They had installed the tape and the pilot told me that was the best thing they had done since VGs. I have the Cub Crafters rubber seals on my Super Cub and they have been on there so long I have forgotten how it flew before. Guess I need to pull them off and see. Not sure on the Pacer or Tri-Pacer, always seemed to have plenty of elevator authority but would be an interesting experiment.
    Yes, Steve my Son installed the Maule tape on his M5 and it did help. I have tested the Pacer with vinyl tape and it did improve the elevator effectiveness at slow speed I have ordered PolyUrethane Tape for better durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nimdave View Post
    Yes, Steve my Son installed the Maule tape on his M5 and it did help. I have tested the Pacer with vinyl tape and it did improve the elevator effectiveness at slow speed I have ordered PolyUrethane Tape for better durability.
    I would really like to see your polyurethane tape installation, when complete. What brand size/width tape? Just installed on the top surface when elevator fully deflected down? Thx.

Post Thanks / Like

I concur the elevator gap seals make a difference. Especially when light or at forward CG. I have flown many PA-12, 14, 18, 22/20s with and without the gaps sealed by various methods. There is a noticeable improvement in elevator authority. Especially on the 22/20. And yes I flew several both with and without same day different load configurations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pralle View Post
    I concur the elevator gap seals make a difference. Especially when light or at forward CG. I have flown many PA-12, 14, 18, 22/20s with and without the gaps sealed by various methods. There is a noticeable improvement in elevator authority. Especially on the 22/20. And yes I flew several both with and without same day different load configurations.
    I tried the Maule system first on my 22/20. It provided the above improvements in elevator response, particularly noticeable at flare and hold-off. There was a slight increase in cruise speed, mainly at aft c of gs. The disadvantages of the Maule system are that it captures dirt which is hard to remove, and has to be unstuck to remove an elevator, often taking the dope finish with it.
    I now use the Cub Crafters seal which provides the advantages without the disadvantages. The kit contains enough to do the rudder if you feel keen.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Cub Crafter foam fap seals on my Tripacer. They aren't certified for '22, just for '18.
    I didn't a really comparative test with and without.
    I can say that there's no a BIG improvement, probably cause I'm not an expert of Tripacers I'm not able to feel it.

Anyway I left them installed, surely it wont get worst......

Much more important, in my opionion, a good weight balance, the famous ballast in the baggage area.
    But it is a different speech.

My 0.02 cents....