Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flight following question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Flight following question

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    Jan,

That's not a bad technique either. I tend to listen to approach when near Class B/C airspace. I have been that "target" at 1500 burning holes in the sky. Even came up on approach to let them know I was l listening when they announced an unknown target maneuvering at 1500 msl. They were actually pretty appreciative that I did that, offered their services while I just exercising my skills that day. I just came back from Cape Fear yesterday, used FF out of Wilmington, NC to get me north of Seymour Johnson AFB. Had to split the Class D between them and Kingston. Once they handed me off to Washington Center, I lasted about 15 minutes before their volume of radio calls for arriving and departing aircraft was just too much chatter for me. Took a quick look at my ADS-B, internet traffic on Fore Flight and decided to terminate FF and gain about 45 miles of peace and quiet.

Greg
    And, perhaps beating a dead horse but the opposing bases podcast mentioned n this thread was enlightening. Contrary to my hopes, ATCs focus really is on IFR separation and efficient movement of heavies. So, talking to VFR traffic and telling us about traffic can be meaningful to them to get heavies on the ground asap, but playing big brother checking airspace and getting me clearances isnít their priority especially when they are busy. You may get some advisories but if you have that expectation you will be disappointed, as I was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have found with VFR flight following, you are responsible for avoiding restricted airspace, don"t know if the faa rules say otherwise, just take care of yourself. When going through NY airspace, why not use the Hudson River corridor, . You only announce your position to other traffic, You are not required to speak to any controllers. and It is one hell of a scenic ride. Just my 2 cents worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    Jan,

ÖTook a quick look at my ADS-B, internet traffic on Fore Flight and decided to terminate FF and gain about 45 miles of peace and quiet.

Greg
    How do you get this to work? My internet traffic goes away about the time I break ground. Same with the ForeFlight weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    How do you get this to work? My internet traffic goes away about the time I break ground. Same with the ForeFlight weather.
    In flight you need a Stratus receiver to get traffic and weather. It connects to ForeFlight via WiFi.
    It receives traffic and WX from the FAA ADSB ground sites.

https://stratusbyappareo.com/product...SAAEgKXlfD_BwE

The alternative is if your iPad or iPhone is in contact with a cell phone tower you can receive it that way via ForeFlight.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 10-10-2021 at 03:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the info through the GDL39 when I am in the airplane it is mounted in but it is rare for me to get any internet service when I am off the ground with the iPhone. My iPad doesn’t have it’s own internet connection. I can usually text and/or call.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flight following question

Quote Originally Posted by RLMessenger View Post
    I have found with VFR flight following, you are responsible for avoiding restricted airspace, don"t know if the faa rules say otherwise, just take care of yourself. When going through NY airspace, why not use the Hudson River corridor, . You only announce your position to other traffic, You are not required to speak to any controllers. and It is one hell of a scenic ride. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Thanks. The rules seem to say itís a shared responsibility, but I think most controllers are more focused on moving heavies. They take you on FF, but It isnít really to provide us services but to move you around to effect efficient traffic flow. Still has value, I really donít want to get hit by 777 but providing airspace help isnít their main focus. Maybe you will get help. Maybe you wonít. And you certainly wonít when itís busy.

As for the corridor, itís funny you mention that. That question has been the one I am asked the most when I talk about my trip. Maybe it wasnít smart, but my goal was to get to MVY as fast as I could. I flew from Maryland to Kennedy and then down Long Island and then straight out. I could have done the corridor and then flew along the mainland north of Long Island sound not talking to anyone, But I thought that added extra distance. In addition, I thought it would be a good challenge to start using ATC. I mean itís New York right?

Last edited by Tnathan; 10-10-2021 at 08:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flight following question

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    I get the info through the GDL39 when I am in the airplane it is mounted in but it is rare for me to get any internet service when I am off the ground with the iPhone. My iPad doesnít have itís own internet connection. I can usually text and/or call.
    I agree with Gilbert and Jeff. If you donít have an ads-b receiver, it will be hit or miss relying on cellular coverage for internet data. In my experience, you have to stay uncomfortably low to pick up a cell tower.

Stratus and Garmin are two good options to pick up ads-b data in air. For a couple hundred bucks you get basic weather and traffic door to door on ForeFlight or Garmin pilot all paid for with your tax dollars. Makes me feel a little better when I pay my taxes. I have the Garmin GDL-52 it adds sirius XM weather and radio. You have to pay a subscription fee but it adds some extras I like.

I am a nut. I love my classic taildragger for some classic stick and rudder, but I also like having my iPad giving me weather, traffic, and streaming some Willie on long cross countries

Last edited by Tnathan; 10-11-2021 at 08:30 AM.