Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Narco AT50 Replacement

Post Thanks / Like

Default Narco AT50 Replacement

I was doing an LA Basin class B tour today, something that I am not real comfortable with, and my AT50 transponder took a crap.

Anyone have a good functioning AT50, or preferably, AT150, AT155, AT165, or Garmin GTX-320A with Narco adapter they want to sell?

I am looking for a slide in replacement. Don't want to deal with the expense and down time of rewiring and installing a different tray.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Narco AT50 Replacement

I have a friend who works at a local avionics shop. I dropped a transponder in the cockpit recently and he was able to cannibalize one of these to fix mine. I will see what they have.
    75565.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

PM sent.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

I recently had my 30 year old 150 die and after a long search found a 165 at Texas air salvage for $600 no tray "as removed". I had a 30 day return window. Haven't had it tested yet but from flight aware tracking appears to work fine, encoder, adsb and all. With the 165 you have to be careful as there are 3 versions of it, Narco replacement, King replacement and Cessna replacement. Make sure you get a pic of the back end to know which it is. I would be VERY careful of Ebay.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have a friend who works at a local avionics shop. I dropped a transponder in the cockpit recently and he was able to cannibalize one of these to fix mine. I will see what they have.
    75565.jpeg
    Thanks Steve!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    PM sent.

Rick
    I checked my inbox, but no new messages.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    I recently had my 30 year old 150 die and after a long search found a 165 at Texas air salvage for $600 no tray "as removed". I had a 30 day return window. Haven't had it tested yet but from flight aware tracking appears to work fine, encoder, adsb and all. With the 165 you have to be careful as there are 3 versions of it, Narco replacement, King replacement and Cessna replacement. Make sure you get a pic of the back end to know which it is. I would be VERY careful of Ebay.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I don't want to spend a fortune, but also don't want to waste money on another piece of equipment that will fail soon.

I did a bunch of research last night. Based on that I am leaning toward the Garmin GTX 320A. Still supported and can be found tested and tagged for under $500.

The tough part is finding a Garmin P/N 011-00292-00. It adapts the GTX 320A to use the existing Narco tray and wiring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    Haven't had it tested yet but from flight aware tracking appears to work fine, encoder, adsb and all.
    I checked Flight Aware. My adsb is working. How can you tell if the encoder and transponder are working from flight aware logs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moto657 View Post
    I checked my inbox, but no new messages.
    Sent this time for sure.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

My uavionix adsb feeds thru the transponder as does my encoder. Flight aware gives a flight log showing altitude and it was spot on and confirms adsb feed.
    -Super Stub-