Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PA-17 Crosswind Component?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PA-17 Crosswind Component?

I did a lot of flying in the Texas wind in my PA16 and got an awakening when I flew a J3 in what I thought was acceptable wind. In my case the lighter weight and longer wing made for a rel rodeo and gave me a bit more respect for wind. I fly a Super Cub at least once a week in all kinds of wind and it has gotten my attention a few times. The good thing about it is the power and how slow it will land if I need to land across a runway or taxiway or the grass in the infield. I bet the more you fly it the better you will get at establishing your own limits.

Post Thanks / Like

My personal best in a light fabric airplane was in the L4. I wanted fuel and there was a Skyhawk doing touch and goes at my planned stop. I figured if he can do it it wouldn’t be a problem. Wind was steady and a direct cross. Touchdown and rollout was a non-event. When I got inside the terminal the weather station said 18 knots with the graph showing it had been there a while. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I am not sure I would have tried it on pavement with the heel brakes had I known what the winds were.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    My personal best in a light fabric airplane was in the L4. I wanted fuel and there was a Skyhawk doing touch and goes at my planned stop. I figured if he can do it it wouldnít be a problem. Wind was steady and a direct cross. Touchdown and rollout was a non-event. When I got inside the terminal the weather station said 18 knots with the graph showing it had been there a while. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I am not sure I would have tried it on pavement with the heel brakes had I known what the winds were.
    Ya ignorance is a double edged sword. If it didnít work out everyone would say what the hell was I thinking. On the other hand not knowing what I was flying kept me from psyching myself out, but now I know I can do 10g15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Itís mostly a matter of flying what you have. Most of my flying has been done without a radio and/or a windsock. If it doesnít feel manageable on short final it isnít likely to improve much on the runway. Even if it feels good on short final, be prepared to execute a go around. A gust at touch down can upset the balance pretty quick. I skidded sideways on wet grass a couple of times and had to power out of it. The first time it happened I rode it out and ended up with the prop a few feet from the fence. A much more seasoned pilot did the same thing about a week before in a turboprop. A rookie did it the next year. It wasnít even that windy for any of us. Something bad about that one spot and a left crosswind.

All of my flying has been from runways. Itís kind of an eye opener for what the bush pilots do in the rough and from sandbars.