Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need pre-buy in WA for PA-20

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need pre-buy in WA for PA-20

Good Afternoon! (Or morning)

I’m thinking of joining the Short Wing Piper club with a potential purchase of a PA-20. I need some help finding a mechanic in Washington with PA-20 experience to do a pre-buy. Anybody have some leads, or interested?

Thanks!
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need pre-buy in WA for PA-20

These aren't very complex planes, plain simple plaines. If its in annual and flying regularly you could give it a good lookover yourself to start. Pull some inspection covers and get a cheap wifi cam scope and a 10 inch tablet to view cam on and look up in the wings, pull back of the back seat up and get a bright flash light and look in tge tail. Tap on the bottom of the fuselage with knuckles and listen for loose metal corrosion. See what the logs show for damage and when the fabric was done and engine rebuilt. If you like what you see after that than hire a local mechanic to give the engine a check up.

I bought mine that way, but it was in real nice shape and been hangared since its rebuild in the 80s, it one first place Clipper at sentimental journey in the early 90s, I am not a mechanic but it was easy to see myself it was worth the 25 grand it was for sale for and would be a good reliable plane for many more years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have members in the Pacific north west who can hopefully chime in. Have you read this thread? https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ase-Inspection

Post Thanks / Like

In what part of WA is it located?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jspey View Post
    In what part of WA is it located?
    Yes Mark,

Where do you live? I can direct you to an IA who has owned a Pacer for many years and lives in North Seattle.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

If you are in SW Washington, Dana Anderson is your man at KHIO Portland-Hillsboro Airport.
    He has maintained our six Shortwings at KHIO for 15~20 years, owns/owned numerous fabric planes and has a good eye for the little "gotchas".
    And he's a fair and decent businessman.
    Plus he has a cool summer job: https://www.nwplanerides.com/
    Email: 1929travelair@gmail.com
    Phone: 503-701-7590

Tell him Glen sent you.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I sent you a private message with info on a Shortwing experienced IA in Lakebay WA.
    I don't know him, but a Tri-Pacer owner I know near Bowerman uses him and is very satisfied.

Best of luck,
    Glen

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your comments. Yes, I did read the thread on pre-buys and inspections. I’m comfortable doing my own inspection except for the fabric. My challenge is geography. It would take a long time for me to get to the airplane, and even then I would still have questions about the fabric. We owned a nice fuel-injected Comanche 250 for 8 years, and we did our own annual/ad-log under supervision. Our logbooks were spotless, and this PA-20 had pretty good logbooks too. That is why I jumped right to sourcing for a pre-buy. I appreciate everyone’s help. There are a few other contenders to our airplane shopping list. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for pre-buy references!

Post Thanks / Like

Got it! Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Airplane is located at KEAT, Pangborn Mem.