Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a brake spacer…

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is a brake spacer…

Hi guys,
    so just finished the annual on my pacer, in which we replaced tires, tubes, disks and pads. All same size as before (Cleveland 40-28 wheels, 30-18 brakes). Used rapco as indicated in spruce cat. Right tire felt tight, but mechanic said if you can turn by hand it’s ok and will loosen with wear. Well, it was pulling going out to runway, and felt like it stuck just at liftoff. Landing was fun (thank God for grass runways!!), and it turned blue getting back to hangar (stopped many times to let it cool). So now mechanic says I need a “spacer”. Don’t see that in parts cat. Shim seems different, this is pads rubbing on disk, not tire. any ideas??? Thanks brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What is a brake spacer…

Those wheel and brake caliper part numbers don't ring a bell. I would first look at the 337 form filed for installing those brakes and then I would look at the illustrated parts break down from Parker Hannifin (Cleveland). Sounds like you have the wrong brake disc for the caliper unless you have bigger tires and the tire is rubbing on the brake caliper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Did these brakes work fine prior to this recent work?

Post Thanks / Like

The brake pads should be "floating" on the brake anchor bolts so they can adjust for wear and move away from the disk after braking. Have you checked to make sure they are not binding? Also the brake piston has to move back after applying the brakes, have you checked if they move freely? I can move mine away from the disks by pushing the brake pads against the brake piston and the wheel will rotate free.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies
    the plane was converted via Univair STC. No other documentation. The piston moved freely when it was put back together. I will check today when I take the wheel off to see if anything is binding, Juergen. Thanks. Steve could see anything called a spacer in that parts breakout. Brakes worked, but the disks measured too worn so they were replaced. I use brakes too much. Will check with mechanic on the name if what he wants. I thought maybe put the old partly worn pads on and see.
    brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is the tire rubbing the wheel or the brake pads rubbing the discs. Do he ouch the pistons back into the caliper? Should be plenty of clearance from new disc and pads all the way to worn discs and pads. Silicone spray on the torque plate pins as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brake spacers are used between the wheel and the disc to move the disc away from the tire . They are needed when you go to a large tire -26 inch Goodyear’s , 29 and 31 inch Bushwheels ect . They won’t do anything for a tight caliper . It’s no different than a car or bike brake . As said you need the caliper to “ float “ . Sounds like your pads are too thick .

Post Thanks / Like

30-18 caliper and 40-28 wheel are the Colt brakes. I only recognize them because I'm looking for some.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brian heidt View Post
    Brakes worked, but the disks measured too worn so they were replaced.
    brian
    Did you use the correct disks... There are thin and thick disks out there and if you replaced them with the thick disks that would explain the issue..

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    Did you use the correct disks... There are thin and thick disks out there and if you replaced them with the thick disks that would explain the issue..

Brian
    Brian, that could be it. I cut safety wire and started loosening the bolts and with half a turn the wheel was spinning freely. Why only the right side I don’t know. So it is a disk, pad issue and I didn’t know disks came in different thicknesses. When I bought them just hit 2 on quantity so both sides will be same. Will ask mechanic to buy whatever part he wants. As to the brakes being colt… it’s been that way for 40 years and I’m not waking sleeping dogs. Thanks again for the input! Brian