Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: welding piper channel ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: welding piper channel ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    That's how the women (yes mostly) did it at the factory.
    When I taught welding to students, girls often did better than boys.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

In my welding class were two women. They beat us 8 guys by a long shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I prefer the ladies over the guys too.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a foot pedal? What size tungsten are you using? What size filler rod are you using? You have much better control over your heat input using TIG than you do OA if you are set up right. 99% of the issues can be taken care of with a little time on the set up and practicing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    Do you have a foot pedal? What size tungsten are you using? What size filler rod are you using? You have much better control over your heat input using TIG than you do OA if you are set up right. 99% of the issues can be taken care of with a little time on the set up and practicing.
    I agree, but for welding fuselages, I prefer the TIG Button over a pedal. Since the channel is only about .020, I think I’d use .023 wire, and maybe an.040 or 1/16 electrode. I use an inverter machine, so use 2% lanthinated electrodes exclusively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My TIG machine is an old dialarc HPF Miller built in 1982. So long as the contacts are clean and my tungsten is sharpened to a tapered point with the end squared off to around 1/32”. The ball of plasma is small enough to weld really thin chit…but requires allot of patience to wait for the puddle to form.. I prefer the foot pedal to control the heat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    …You put the rod in position and start the arc on the rod...
    I’ve done that from time to time by accident and I have to say I really didn’t care for the electricity running through my arm to the table!
    Last edited by Jeff J; 10-23-2021 at 06:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I agree, but for welding fuselages, I prefer the TIG Button over a pedal. Since the channel is only about .020, I think I’d use .023 wire, and maybe an.040 or 1/16 electrode. I use an inverter machine, so use 2% lanthinated electrodes exclusively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Button or thumb wheel works in tight areas, I prefer foot control in more open areas or at the table. Do your self a favor and get some LaYzr tungsten. Retains point longer, doesn't stick as bad and will hold a steady arc down to stupid low amps. It works for everything, Aluminum, carbon or stainless equally well.

I swapped out the entire weld shop at work to it and the welders all love it, so does the industrial hygienist as it does not contain any radioactive material like the 2% does.

Post Thanks / Like

OK--- I measured the material and it was only .015 thick.
    But I found a way to cheat a little. I took an inch long section of steel key stock-- welded a rat tail on it for a handle-- and ground it down so it was a friction fit inside the channel. I beveled the end to fit into the vertex---- and inserted it inside to form a heat sink (called a chill block) to draw some of the heat away. That helped a lot.
    .040 tungsten, #5 regular cup- pedal set to 15 or 20 amps max. about 7 sec post flow and about 13 CFH.
    took a lot of time to get it welded without overheating it-- but it worked. Used .030 er70-s6 mig wire for rod.
    Did it but it was nerve racking

Post Thanks / Like

Using heat sinks make welding thin stuff much easier.