Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interav Alt tripping off

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Interav Alt tripping off

Quote Originally Posted by moto657 View Post
    Well, it still tripped a couple times when I first turn on the field switch after start up. I’ve found that if I pull the rpm all the way back before flipping the switch it doesn’t trip and works OK.
    Must have been a fluke. The Alt wouldn’t start up at all couple days ago. Followed the Interav troubleshooting guide posted on SWPORG and isolated the issue to the OVR.

I bought a Plane Power R1224 Voltage regulator to replace the old Interav set up. Installing now. The instructions are not entirely clear. I called PP tech support, but no response yet. So a couple questions for those who have successfully installed it:

1. Do you connect the Reg terminal on the alternator to the Aux on the regulator?

2. Does the resistor (or whatever it is) jumpered from Reg to Out stay or get removed. Same question for the filter (or whatever it is) that is connected from Reg and bolted to the alternator case. See pic below.

59329680-D042-4311-96DB-A71320851F7E.jpeg

3. On rev C and later you jumper just SENSE to ENABLE? Not both ENABLE to SENSE and ENABLE to AUX.
    See below.
    CEA9E697-832B-4BD9-B527-CABB5A24E5CF.jpeg

Thanks for any help. Trying to get this done today!
    Last edited by moto657; 11-10-2021 at 03:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Must have been a fluke. The Alt wouldn’t start up at all couple days ago. Followed the Interav troubleshooting guide posted on SWPORG and isolated the issue to the OVR.

I bought a Plane Power R1224 Voltage regulator to replace the old Interav set up. Installing now. The instructions are not entirely clear. I called PP tech support, but no response yet. So a couple questions for those who have successfully installed it:

1. Do you connect the Reg terminal on the alternator to the Aux on the regulator? NO. The Reg terminal does not connect to the 1224 at all.

2. Does the resistor (or whatever it is) jumpered from Reg to Out stay or get removed? It stays. Same question for the noise capacitor that is connected from Reg and bolted to the alternator case. It stays See pic below.

59329680-D042-4311-96DB-A71320851F7E.jpeg

3. On rev C and later you jumper just SENSE to ENABLE? Not both ENABLE to SENSE and ENABLE to AUX? Yes, only jumper sense to enable. If using a warning lamp you will jumper Enable to Aux also.
    See below.
    CEA9E697-832B-4BD9-B527-CABB5A24E5CF.jpeg

Thanks for any help. Trying to get this done today!
    Just got off the phone with Plane Power. Very helpful and knowledgeable.

See the answers above in Blue.

Post Thanks / Like

I took Brian’s advice. New Plane Power 1224 Voltage regulator is installed! Tested perfect. Only 1 new hole had to be drilled in the firewall for mounting.

49728EC1-FD06-407E-BAD2-83B8A28DDC08.jpeg

Wiring is more simple than with the Interav set up. The wire from the Reg terminal on the alternator to the voltage regulator is removed, as is the ground from alternator to VR. No new wire was required. There was some rerouting, shortening and new terminations made on the existing wires. Below is everything that was removed and replaced by the 1224.

B9614471-A1A4-4AB2-A8FD-0B867F0D6454.jpeg
    Last edited by moto657; 11-12-2021 at 04:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Interav Alt tripping off

I took Brian’s advice. New Plane Power 1224 Voltage regulator is installed! Tested perfect. Only 1 new hole had to be drilled in the firewall for mounting.

49728EC1-FD06-407E-BAD2-83B8A28DDC08.jpeg

Wiring is more simple than with the Interav set up. The wire from the Reg terminal on the alternator to the voltage regulator is removed, as is the ground from alternator to VR. No new wire was required. There was some rerouting, shortening and new terminations made on the existing wires. Below is everything that was removed and replaced by the 1224.

B9614471-A1A4-4AB2-A8FD-0B867F0D6454.jpeg
    It’s a much better set up… easy install, easy diagnostic if there are problems and way less crap on the firewall…

I have used the plane power on a lot of new builds and replaced a few inter av systems with it…

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Is the voltage adjustable?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Yes… open up the front and there is an adjustable pot for output..

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I checked it at the “Enable” terminal with the plane idling at 1000rpm as recommend by plane power. It was 13.9V out of the box. Should be good. Man it’s scary checking that with the prop spinning so close!

I have a Power safe SBS-J16 battery. Looked for a recommended charge voltage, but couldn’t find a spec. I’m going to stick with the 13.9V unless someone has an actual spec from Power Safe calling for higher.

Post Thanks / Like

I checked it at the “Enable” terminal with the plane idling at 1000rpm as recommend by plane power. It was 13.9V out of the box. Should be good. Man it’s scary checking that with the prop spinning so close!

I have a Power safe SBS-J16 battery. Looked for a recommended charge voltage, but couldn’t find a spec. I’m going to stick with the 13.9V unless someone has an actual spec from Power Safe calling for higher.
    At or near 14 is where I like to see them… have never had to adjust one though..

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I wont buy another j16 battery, I had one die after a year and would not hold a charge. But I have had an AGM battery last 5 years now that I replaced the j16 with, my alternator keeps the bus at 14.3 volts and the battery has lasted around 5 years and shows no weakness yet and I never use a battery maintainer, only the aircraft alternator and this battery has sat for months at a time without use during sub freezing temps in the winter.

I would not be outside under the cowling checking voltage with the prop spinning, much safer to run a temp wire from whatever terminal they said on the regulator up into the cockpit and check voltage sitting in the seat, or just monitor the battery voltage during flight, thats what I do, the volts gauge is wired directly to the + post on the battery and the gauge is right next to the all pressure gauge so I see exactly what the battery is getting charged with in my scan constantly.
    Last edited by PA-16; 11-13-2021 at 05:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Plane Power VR has been working perfectly. I’ve already put about 30 hours on it.

I finally got around to weighing the removed Interav parts and extra wiring. It’s 1lb. I recently pulled a couple old GPSs out which were 5.5lbs. So I’m slowly wittling the weight down.