Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine heater

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Engine heater

I know some of you all on here are heartier pilots flying more extreme conditions Than I do down here in Maryland. It’s starting to get cooler and I was thinking of engine preheating. I was on another board and folks talk about using some fancy expensive heaters: propane blowers, etc. Are they worth the money or is this just hanger jewelry?

I bought a heat gun from harbor freight and stick it in the exhaust for 30 minutes while I preflight. I have never had a hard time starting. And, when I turn on the engine monitor I recall seeing some good temps on the cylinders and oil. The heat gun seems to do some good. Is this a good poor man’s solution or am I fooling myself. I wonder if I need much given that I am down here in Maryland.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Engine heater

Hi,

I made a couple of styrofoam plugs for the cowl nose holes and leave a 60 watt light bulb in the engine compartment. I pretty much leave the bulb running all winter, especially spring and fall when things are condensing moisture out of the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

I made a couple of styrofoam plugs for the cowl nose holes and leave a 60 watt light bulb in the engine compartment. I pretty much leave the bulb running all winter, especially spring and fall when things are condensing moisture out of the air.
    I have heard that idea too and blankets over the cowl. I am a little worried about leaving something on while I am gone thought. I was just wondering if I am fooling myself. The heat gun was $20 at harbor freight and puts out 1500w, 1100f. I just stick it in the tailpipe and it seems to work. What am I missing? I see others praising their fancy cellphone controlled 800w cowl blowers. They cost like $600 and more. Are they worth it? The flight school I went to used some propane powered pre heaters. Given the tight margins they work on I can’t imagine they were spending money on preheaters they didn’t need. Just curious what others think.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again,

If you're comfortable doing what you are, stick with it if you don't get better ideas. I hang the bulb fixture from the engine mount and it's just about sitting on the muffler back there. What I'd really like to heat is the interior, the battery, and I, would feel better getting at it.

I also have a very small electric heater I set on a bucket and aim under and toward the air exit on the bottom back of the cowl. Haven't used it often though.
    Last edited by Jim; 11-16-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If I am going to fly when the temp is 30 or below I put two 100 watt light bulbs up against the bottom of the oil pan the night before and throw a sleeping bag over the cowl. In the morning I will have OT & CHT’s in the 70 to 80F range.
    Cold starts is a Lycoming cam killer. Lycoming recommends maintaining 1000rpm until the OT temp starts to move.
    I don’t take off until I have 100F on the OT.

Post Thanks / Like

Gilbert, Jim,

Thanks. These seem like good ideas. I thought I was smart with a $20 heat gun, but a shop light and an old sleeping bag is even cheaper. I can always count on you guys for good ideas. It just caught my attention that folks were talking about $600-1000 preheaters and I wondered what I was missing.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

On the airplane I had, I applied an EZ Heat pad on the oil tank. Plug it in the night before you fly and good to go, assuming you have access to electric where the airplane is parked. The light bulbs work too, but not the new LED type bulbs, they don't produce enough heat.

E-Z HEAT AIRCRAFT ENGINE PREHEATER | Aircraft Spruce

Post Thanks / Like

I use this also along with a heavy blanket on the cowling and cowl plugs, seems to get the needle to start moving in about an hour or so. Easy enough to plug in the night before or in the morning, then go grab some breakfast before flying. I used to use a space heater with ducting going up into the cowling. That worked as well, but it took a bit longer and I didn't feel comfortable leaving it on while I was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    On the airplane I had, I applied an EZ Heat pad on the oil tank. Plug it in the night before you fly and good to go, assuming you have access to electric where the airplane is parked. The light bulbs work too, but not the new LED type bulbs, they don't produce enough heat.

E-Z HEAT AIRCRAFT ENGINE PREHEATER | Aircraft Spruce

Post Thanks / Like

Is the heating pad applied and used on the oil tank/oil pan a log book entry?
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Per the manufacturer, does not require a logbook entry.

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    Is the heating pad applied and used on the oil tank/oil pan a log book entry?