Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: PA22-20 Fuselage covering

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA22-20 Fuselage covering

My project has been slowly progressing and i'm getting setup to cover the fuselage. There's two areas that I would love some advice on for order/technique. I'm planning on using a blanket method and need help with the wing root area. Top piece first and wrap it over the rear wing root channel, then side piece tucked behind to top longeron (possibly wrapped around the inside instead of over the top)?
    The second area is the tail.... Two pieces to cover the tail and stitch to fuselage top piece?
    My project came with SuperFlite system 7
    I've tried ordering the 4 tips books from SWPC but they are B/O and haven't heard back on when they may be available... Maybe they wouldn't have this answer anyway?

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA22-20 Fuselage covering

Get the Short Wing Piper drawing CD, it has the drawings for how the factory did the covering. With methods today, the only change would be that you can’t do a doped seam along the top center stringer. You would need to do a sewn seam there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you look at the fuselage covering drawing you will see where they brought fabric down behind the 3/8" channel that forms the place for the wing root fairing to sit. We attached a strip there to give area to glue the fabric to. Posted about in this thread. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...D-quot-Windows

Google this and you will find even more. "fuselage covering site:shortwingpipers.org"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I got my order for the 4 books, drawing and rigging cd's placed today. It's been a fun experience so far reading all the different ways people can accomplish a task while following the same regulations.

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful with the printed books. That material was never vetted by experts. There is some bad information in there.
    There is good information there but unfortunately not 100% reliable.
    An example, a well known contributor claims his 10 year old Lycoming at 1000 hours has compression of 80/80 on all four cylinders.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 11-22-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Be careful with the printed books. That material was never vetted by experts. There is some bad information in there.
    There is good information there but unfortunately not 100% reliable.
    An example, a well known contributor claims his 10 year old Lycoming at 1000 hours has compression of 80/80 on all four cylinders.

That's discouraging...I had been told they were worth the money previously. I guess I'll just have to sort through them and with an open mind, Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is some good info in the books but what I remember was some misinformation on the drag strut in the fuel bay. In my opinion this forum in conjunction with the drawings is a great resource because the forum is interactive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    There is some good info in the books but what I remember was some misinformation on the drag strut in the fuel bay. In my opinion this forum in conjunction with the drawings is a great resource because the forum is interactive.
    Thanks Steve