Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: New owner questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default New owner questions

Hello all. This is my first post. Been reading for a while. I’m happy to announce that I am buying my 2nd airplane tomorrow morning. A 1957 PA22-150 Tri Pacer. This airplane was fully restored about 4 years ago, but not flown much since. It’s having a fresh annual done in a week or so. I have a few questions:
    The owner did a beautiful job restoring it. Most everything in it is new, but original. So, new interior, but all original electronics, etc. No ADSB, or anything modern. I’m a bit puzzled as to why anyone would keep those old electronics, transponder, etc. Is this akin to restoring an old car? Does it hurt the value of the plane if I replace that stuff? Also, the plane is run every now and again, but not flown. I’ve heard this may not be good, but it’s never been left out of the hangar, as it’s in his back yard. I’ve read about rust and corrosion spots, but aside from that, are there things I should look for before flying it? Thank you all, and I look forward to being a regular here.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New owner questions

Welcome and congrats on that new purchase. I know that I am not alone when I say were all about looking at pics of peoples new toys here. I seriously doubt that by keeping all the old gauges and things would help retain its value but just saying, I have all the original gauges/instruments and have never thought any of them needed to be upgraded. I did install the ADSB out because Denver's mode C boundary passes right over where I park my plane.
    Post a pic of your new 1957 PA22 and I'll bet you'll get a lot of responders to your concerns. I'll start, here is a pic of mine just after I recovered it. 1959.
    Bill
    DSC00849 (Large).JPG

Post Thanks / Like

A nice looking Tri Pacer with modern electronics is worth more than one with obsolete stuff. Over the years most of these planes have sit around. Being hangared is good, running regularly is good. Flying it is best. Hopefully, it will check out fine in your annual, then fly it.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations to your new airplane. You will enjoy it. As far as the electronics, it depends what you want to use it for. If you fly VFR only, just keep it as is. If you fly IFR, get new modern avionics. But a panel upgrade can cost as much as you paid for the airplane.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Running an engine on the ground will not get it up to temperature and can lead to internal corrosion. I would pull the screen/filter and look for ferrous metal with a magnet in them.

Post Thanks / Like

concur with all, perhaps there's an oil analysis from the annual ? otherwise maybe chat with the shop that did the annual and go fly ! ADS-B is invaluable, a lot of fast movers in the NE and you can make a 5 degree turn ten miles out that will keep you out of their way...

Post Thanks / Like

8164B07A-52B3-4ACD-B605-439EDE6A19E0.jpegThis is my new girl! Finalized the sale today. Her name is “Red”.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. Just start flying her first and then figure out what needs to be replaced and what you want to do with it. When I bought my Pacer 22 years ago, it had a partial panel of instruments and no radios or transponder. I flew it for a couple of years with a handheld radio and GPS using a portable intercom (VFR only). Since then, over the years, I must have spent well over $20K in new gauges, radios and a glass primary flight display. I am working with our avionics shop right now for another upgrade to eliminate the vacuum system and replace my old audio panel (I do fly mine IFR though). It can get expensive quickly.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cricko,
    She sure looks nice.
    I noticed the upper strut fairings are slightly different from the usual parts I have seen.
    Clever design with a seam on the trailing edges instead of the overlap panels.
    Have lots of fun and great adventures!

Best,
    GG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    Hi Cricko,
    She sure looks nice.
    I noticed the upper strut fairings are slightly different from the usual parts I have seen.
    Clever design with a seam on the trailing edges instead of the overlap panels.
    Have lots of fun and great adventures!

Best,
    GG
    I haven’t seen enough of them to know the difference. I just sold my Chief to but the Tri Pacer, but I’m here to learn!