Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Need Master Cylinder Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Need Master Cylinder Parts

My I/A says my left brake is still softer than the right so I may be rebuilding the master cylinders . I have Williams Toe Brakes and The Piper CD lists the Master Cylinder as Cessna P/N 0591138-20. I can find used ones on ebay but I’m looking for a rebuild kit
    No
    luck so far

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need Master Cylinder Parts

More than likely you just need to replace the lock seal that goes under the piston… the piston O-Ring is just a standard one that can be matched up in about any o-ring kit.. the “lock” or “stat” seal is special… here is a link to aircraft spruce for that..

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...s/clevecyl.php

I just did this on a Cessna 175 the other day.. the stat seal looked fine but that thing is really small and under a 10 power magnifying glass I could see the inside of it was chewed up and not sealing..

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Brian
    I have learned a lot about them today . Cessna part number 054-1138-20 rebuild kit PPBMC45 . I also learned the piston screws out from the body and there is no need to remove the body for rebuild . Also there is a small set screw on the side you have to remove before unscrewing the cap (piston top )
    Also plan to remove the parking brake levers that lock around the shaft when you pull the parking brake knob . We had a 180 nose over at our field because of that bracket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sierrasplitter View Post
    Thanks Brian
    I have learned a lot about them today . Cessna part number 054-1138-20 rebuild kit PPBMC45 . I also learned the piston screws out from the body and there is no need to remove the body for rebuild . Also there is a small set screw on the side you have to remove before unscrewing the cap (piston top )
    Also plan to remove the parking brake levers that lock around the shaft when you pull the parking brake knob . We had a 180 nose over at our field because of that bracket
    The worst parking brake system ever developed… did some major repairs on a 180 over it for a customer… brake locked up during take off and around it went and dug in the wing tip…

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Had a customer’s Cessna cylinder on a PA22/20 break in the piston shaft snap ring groove and off the runway he went taking out several taxi lights and his elevator.
    Replaced both cylinders two Grove cylinders. No groove in the piston shaft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    The worst parking brake system ever developed… did some major repairs on a 180 over it for a customer… brake locked up during take off and around it went and dug in the wing tip…

Brian
    Sorry Brian
    Not even close
    DHC 82C Tiger Moth-braking system is the most useless complicated system ever
    IMHO
    shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gliderman View Post
    Sorry Brian
    Not even close
    DHC 82C Tiger Moth-braking system is the most useless complicated system ever
    IMHO
    shane-o
    Lol… I concede….

Have to admit that I have never worked on one of those though…

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1526F01C-0ECF-4B6A-883B-124D4AD664C3.jpeg My local Shop had the o-rings . They also had a drawing with part numbers . I am waiting for the washer from aircraft spruce with the o-ring inside . My shop has the part but they are separate, the o-ring fits inside but is not attached to the washer so I’m it sure that will work
    Last edited by sierrasplitter; 11-22-2021 at 10:50 PM.