Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bungee Gear

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bungee Gear

How many variations of bungee gear are there? Will PA-12 work on -17, J3, -16??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bungee Gear

Like apple makes sure that no old charger or cord will work on there new products so you have to carry ten million cords and chargers on the road... now if Droid made a plane that would be cool, everything would fit every plane

Post Thanks / Like

Canít say for certain, but the J-3, PA-15, PA-16 gear are all different. I believe the gear leg of the -15 and -17 are the same, but the -17 has the bungees on the tube going to the cabana while the -15 has no bungees. Iím pretty sure the -12 gear doesnít match any others except maybe the J-5, but J-5 is likely just for a lower gross weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Late J3, PA11 and PA18 is the same. PA12 is different than anything else. PA16 is totally different. PA15 and 17 are interchangeable with the only difference being the use of bungees on the 15. PA20 original gear, PA20 later wide gear. PA22 gear is not PA20 gear turned around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    PA22 gear is not PA20 gear turned around.
    Its funny I just heard someone a couple weeks ago explaining that many PA22s have been converted to PA20s by turning the gear around and putting a tailwheel on it LOL, I did not say anything, he was the expert on it, at least he sounded like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

....."turning the gear around"....

Aside from all the other nonsense involved, Would these still be nose heavy? Just wondering if this idea may have been a homebuilders thing way back when.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The one I worked on added the front gear fitting in the proper location but that puts the rear fitting in between clusters and it bowed the lower longeron at that attach fitting. It had been done as a field approval years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here I highlighted the added aft gear fitting, bowed tube and extra tube that someone added to try and reinforce the longeron. They did not use the gear fitting at the strut attach fitting.

100_1415_LI.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Strengthening the longerons is why converting to Trimmer PA 18 gear is a big deal.

Short wing Pipers have a large CG envelope. Moving the gear weight forward should be more than off set by removing the nose wheel.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Strengthening the longerons is why converting to Trimmer PA 18 gear is a big deal.

Short wing Pipers have a large CG envelope. Moving the gear weight forward should be more than off set by removing the nose wheel.
    The other advantage would be if you wanted to convert to stick controls. The hydrosorbs are in the way if you did PA-16 style controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk