Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: IFR minimum equipment

Post Thanks / Like

Default IFR minimum equipment

I dont know how this will work, or even if possible in a Clipper, but would like to get it legal for following railroads, no instrument flight rules. I dont have a static port let alone an alternate static.. I think an alternate source is required but could be wrong there. Got a deal on two Garmin 5s so the Attitude and Heading is covered, have an electric turn coordinator to. Airspeed and altimeter and VSI. Clock to, lets see,
    Gyro
    Radio
    Altimeter
    B
    C
    A
    R
    D

forgot what all that is, but I guess if I can get a legal static source installed, right now the altimeter and VSI are not even connected to the transponder, I have a stand alone encoder that talks to my transponder but the altimeter and VSI are opened in the back of the instruments, the airspeed is connected to the pitot tube, but its not heated, just the original Clipper style tube under the left wing. Shoot if I need a heated pitot than I guess its game over.

Have two G5s for sale cheap and a GNC 355 I picked up from an old geared up Bonanza, dont think I will need them now, unless I can get this going without a heated pitot tube.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: IFR minimum equipment

91.205 lists the required equipment. Without a static system, it is unlikely you could comply with the 91.411 altimeter and static system tests. Heated pitot isn’t required, but a good idea. Make sure the G5s you have are the certified ones and not the ones that are Experimental only. Does the STC for the G5s even list the PA-16?

My PA-16 is going to have heated pitot, a static system similar to later PA-22s, AV-30s (hoping they can get certification for full HSI capability). Still trying to decide on nav and comms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, not sure where I read the pitot needed heat, I wont fly in icing so dont need it. I wonder if I can plumb the static like the 22, but keep my pitot original? Is it just a logbook entry to run the static out the bottom like the 22, or is a field approval needed... guess I should plan for a year or 3 if it requires a field approval.

Post Thanks / Like

The Clipper is on the g5 stc, was a slacker made it on in the last round. Now I guess I need to find out if the gnc 355 navcom stc lists the Clipper... why do they have to be approved for each spacific plane... approved is approved is approved
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

The FAA has their own way of doing things. When dealing with TSO items, the TSO is ONLY a design and manufacturing approval, not an installation approval. The installation approval usually comes in the form of an STC.

As for the static system, mine is on a field approval, but I have a bunch of other things on the same 337.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    I dont know how this will work, or even if possible in a Clipper, but would like to get it legal for following railroads, no instrument flight rules. I dont have a static port let alone an alternate static.. I think an alternate source is required but could be wrong there. Got a deal on two Garmin 5s so the Attitude and Heading is covered, have an electric turn coordinator to. Airspeed and altimeter and VSI…
    It sounds to me like you already have more than what is required unless you don’t have a compass.

The minimum IFR equipment is whatever the minimum required is for the type of approaches to be flown plus the instrumentation the reg requires.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 12-08-2021 at 11:59 AM.