Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N8427D Barn find Tri-pacer 22-160

Post Thanks / Like

Default N8427D Barn find Tri-pacer 22-160

Just joined SWP.org a few days ago and have to say that I'm humbled by the knowledge and experience of the members here. A little background on me. Retired Air Force guy with Aircraft Maintenace history. From what I'm seeing / reading it would be easier for me to head out and work on an F-16 than a 1958 tri-pacer! A year and half ago I heard a rumor about an airplane that was in need of a new home. The owner had passed away, and the family was selling the property. It was in a hanger a mile off any road (no kidding) in west central MN. Long story short, I now the proud owner of N8427D Ser# 22-5682. What I know about this airplane I could put in my left ear and have room for more. Not a bad deal so far, but in the process of cleaning out the house and building most the history (logbooks) managed to get lost. They did have pilot logbook with last entry on 5 July 2002. I have found some history, engine changed, accident report, wing repair, and wing mod, but that's about it. In the eighteen plus years 427D sat in limbo it became home for the local squirrel population. They lived in the wings, building a real nice nest at the outboard end of the left wing using the lacing, rib cloth bracing and anything else they could find. Not to mention about ten gallons of pinecone husks. most of the lacings were gone. Thankfully it was easily decided that she wasn't flying out of there.

This is going to be a journey of 10,000 miles for sure. I have managed to get the Univair parts catalog, Aircraft Spruce parts book, Tips & techniques with all the Piper drawings on thumb drives that short wing piper club has. After a lot of research and reading, the Stewart system is what I want to use. Putting the cart in front of the horse I went to a recovering class with Stewarts and am convinced that is the way to go. After over a year of looking for a place to work on this project without success I started on the left wing in my 16'x20' shop in the backyard. It's big enough for one wing and me but it's forward progress.

Of course, there's a lot more to this story, but I don't want to put anyone to sleep, but rather I would hope to be able to ask a couple million really dumb questions of Ya'll and not have you come to my house and take away my computer!

Thanks for a really great place for someone to tap into a real treasure trove of information.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Randy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: N8427D Barn find Tri-pacer 22-160

Welcome Randy and congratulations on the new addition. You’ve come to the right place for advice and answers to your questions.
    I purchased my ‘57 PA-22-150 in 1977 at age 22. Guess I’m going to keep it!
    Brian
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard Randy. The only dumb question is the one not asked. Can't wait to follow the progress.

Post Thanks / Like

Exciting to hear another old pacer is getting a shot at life again. Can't wait to hear the progress. You've certainly come to the right place.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures
    we need pictures!

Merry Merry All
    Shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

Shane,
    Ok. I'll get pictures as soon as I can figure out how to post them! Red deer, what a beautiful place to live!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Randy, congrats on your barn find. I'm sure most of us are jealous of your opportunity, squirrel turds and all.
    It's also very refreshing that you have done a lot of your homework, buying the available documentation from SWPC and planning your project.
    I would guess that's a discipline honed from your Air Force experience - show up as ready as possible and ready to learn more.
    If you are able, start an online photo diary of the project where you can keep notes and pics, hopefully starting with the "Look what I found!" chapter, and you can post links here to share.
    You will find several others here have done similar and there are a few very long, very educational threads to review.
    Also bookmark this site, very informative and helpful: https://sites.google.com/site/shortwinginfo/home

Best,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, lots of people here willing to provide guidance. Good luck on the project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Randy!
    good year, good model and good engine! Congrats and have fun! Moe

Post Thanks / Like

Randy,
    You've chosen a great airplane to start a project like this. Know that when you fly it for the first time, it will treat you very well. The people and their collective knowledge on this site cannot be found elsewhere. You're in a good place. Stay in touch. Pictures are worth a thousand words.
    -Subsonic