Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TK1 Landing gear

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: TK1 Landing gear

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo.Pilot View Post
    No need to be sorry, this is exactly what I was asking for. Honestly, the flying I do and plan on doing is well within the envelope of the original gear. BUTTTT, the right gear leg has a been welded on (before I bought it) and I would like to replace it. Trying to find the gear leg needed (narrow with 1.25" axle) has proven to be pretty difficult without going the route of buying a brand new one.. And if I buy a brand new one, my thought was why not spend the extra 2k and get a better designed gear all around??
    There have been a couple people that have converted from narrow to wide gear in the last couple years. I would think there should be some available used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: TK1 Landing gear

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo.Pilot View Post
    Honestly, the flying I do and plan on doing is well within the envelope of the original gear. BUTTTT, the right gear leg has a been welded on (before I bought it) and I would like to replace it. Trying to find the gear leg needed (narrow with 1.25" axle) has proven to be pretty difficult without going the route of buying a brand new one.. And if I buy a brand new one, my thought was why not spend the extra 2k and get a better designed gear all around??
    Why not take the wonky gear to a certified welder and simply have it rebuilt to remove the crappy portions and put in nice fresh tubing etc?
    There's only 10~20 parts to the thing, if one or two were problematic just replace them, that might be the faster/cheaper solution.
    And you could have the corner web upgrades (as done in the PA22 tailwheel conversions) done at the same time.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"