Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aviation Highschool in Need of Short Wing Parts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aviation Highschool in Need of Short Wing Parts

Dear SWP Family,

I am Mr. Lee and I am the Aviation Maintenance Instructor at the Central Florida Aerospace Academy in Lakeland, FL located at Sun n' Fun. I am reaching out to this forum for some help.

A wonderful family has donated a PA-20 or PA-22 to my high school program. I do not know a lot about this aircraft as it has no data plate, or maintenance log book. From what the donor has told me and what research I have done I have narrowed it down to either a Pacer PA-20 or 22. The fuselage is a tail dragger which leads me to a PA-20 however, the wings have a PA-22 stamp on the spar. So in other words I do not know which aircraft I have.

My goal with this aircraft is to restore it with my students who are starting their aviation and A&P careers in my class. Sun n' Fun has been gracious enough to let us use there paint booth when we are ready for paint and another local donor has given us a Lycoming 0-290 for it. With those two things we are well on our way.

Now that you have some background here is where your help is much needed. All I currently have for this aircraft are the wings, fuselage, and engine mentioned above. If there is anyone on this forum willing do donate any extra parts or pieces they may have laying around it would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a list of what we are currently lacking. If you have any of these parts please contact me!

P.S. Don't be alarmed at the size of the list

• Engine mount
    • Wing struts
    • Tail wheel
    • Flaps
    • Ailerons
    • Horizontal Stab
    • Elevators
    • Rudder
    • Firewall
    • Engine Cowling
    • Cargo door
    • Fuel Tank Panels
    • Windscreen
    • Belly Pan
    • Seats
    • Instrument panel
    • Instruments
    • Floorboards
    • Lights
    • Electrical System
    • ALL Hardware
    • ALL Electrical

Thank you so much for time and you help with this endeavor!
    Mr. Lee

chase.lee@polk-fl.net
    Last edited by Instructor Lee; 01-06-2022 at 12:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Aviation Highschool in Need of Short Wing Parts

I’m assuming this will be for a static display. While to don’t have a data plate, you can search for the fuselage number tag. It is a tag welded to the fuselage with a number stamped on it. The two likely locations are the right side of the gear truss, or the cross tube behind the instrument panel. That tag will be close to your serial number, but not the actual number. If it starts with 20 it is a Pacer. If it starts with 22, it was a TriPacer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you dgapilot for that information when class gets out this afternoon I will dig for those numbers. The airplane will not be a static display. Once constructed it will be used in the classroom to give these students a taste of what the real world has to offer.

Thank you again dgapilot

Post Thanks / Like

The tag on my PA-20 was on the cross tube below the passenger seat. It was just a piece of angle weld to the tube that read 20-xxx. The aircraft serial number matched on that one but I never sent for the Piper build sheet to see if it came from the factory that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    The tag on my PA-20 was on the cross tube below the passenger seat. It was just a piece of angle weld to the tube that read 20-xxx. The aircraft serial number matched on that one but I never sent for the Piper build sheet to see if it came from the factory that way.
    That’s where the -16 and the -20 has it, just inside the door. The -22 had them in a couple different locations depending on serial. I’d have to dig into the drawings for the exact locations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

We have a 22-xxxx !!! I found the welded tab on the passenger side cross bar. Now my question is did the 22 come with a tricycle gear or as a tail dragger from piper? Also I have 4 digits after the 22-, what will those numbers tell me and where can I find more information about them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Instructor Lee View Post
    We have a 22-xxxx !!! I found the welded tab on the passenger side cross bar. Now my question is did the 22 come with a tricycle gear or as a tail dragger from piper? Also I have 4 digits after the 22-, what will those numbers tell me and where can I find more information about them?
    All PA-22s left the factory with tricycle gear. the tailwheel configuration is an STC. Clyde Smith Jr. has the build sheets for mast all the Pipers built in Lock Haven. With the fuselage number, he can research what the actual serial number was. Unfortunately, without the original data plate and a Bill of Sale, you will never have an airplane, just a static display.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lee, good luck with the project! I have some extra parts at hanger. Such as old struts, bent aileron and maybe some out of date polyfiber stuff. I’ll take a look next trip, can you leave a phone number or email ? I can let you know. You can be sure the things are not airworthy at this time. Moe

Post Thanks / Like

Moe anything you have will be greatly appreciated! My email is chase.lee@polk-fl.net. I will also edit my original post so my email will be in there as well. I am not worried about airworthiness at this stage in the game, the odds of this bird ever seeing the sky again is slim to none.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moe2goe View Post
    Hi Lee, good luck with the project! I have some extra parts at hanger. Such as old struts, bent aileron and maybe some out of date polyfiber stuff. I’ll take a look next trip, can you leave a phone number or email ? I can let you know. You can be sure the things are not airworthy at this time. Moe

I want to give a HUGE Thank You to Mr. moe2goe for his donation of parts to our program!!!!! He was a tremendous help. I will be updating the initial post to reflect moes generosity. Thank you all for everything so far! I am going to be documenting this entire build in another thread soon so that all of you can see the progress that the SWP community is very much responsible for!!

Thank You,
    Mr. Lee