Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Nav Light Switch

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Nav Light Switch

I may need to replace my navigation lights switch . I have the original rheostat that controls the wing and tail nav lights and the interior lights
    Anyone have a recommendation for replacement ?

after searching I did find this one
    but 295 dollars ? jeez maybe replace with two toggle switches ?
    D2ECEEFF-1582-469A-AEC8-E412A308151F.jpg
    Last edited by sierrasplitter; 01-05-2022 at 10:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Nav Light Switch

Sierra,

You planning on wiring in your instrument panel lights to that dimmer switch? Is that even possible to do? Reason I ask, is I would love to be able to adjust my overhead cockpit lights intensity. They are pretty intense in the evening and I would love to be able to adjust them a little bit. I have to leave the NAV lights on because my ADS-B is wired to the dimmer switch I have already installed.

Greg

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Original Switch comes with a rocker switch / rheostat combo . It’s designed to turn on both the Nav lights and the two lights inside ( the only interior lights I have ) . The Nav lights should be wired to the load side of the switch . That will turn on the Nav lights at full power and power to the rheostat slider . As you turn the knob to the right the interior lights will get brighter .
    My rheostat still works but the rocker switch is bad so I get nothing
    I haven’t found anything “ approved “ so far
    I may just replace it with two rocker switches , one for nav , one for interior

As far as your ASB being tied in yo the lighting , I am an electrician by trade but not an aircraft electrician so I can only speak from safe wiring practices so my answer would be :

As long as it has a circuit breaker that is large enough to handle the combined amp load , and the wire size is correct for the amp load then all should be good

However the nav and interior lights are incandescent ( unless you changed to LED ) and I doubt the ASB draws much current ( not sure of its current draw ) . So you may have an issue if your nav or interior lights short out it could draw enough current to damage your ASB
    I wouldn’t loose sleep over it though .

An I/A or AP would know the actual accepted wiring methods

Its better not to look under the dash if you have any wiring knowledge
    Oh my god , cloth insulated wires , bad slices , sharp metal surfaces , the list goes on and on

94055486-6836-43E3-8FC8-97A88D0B3021.jpeg

Here is the old switch
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sierrasplitter; 01-06-2022 at 08:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If he has either the SkyBeacon or Tailbeacon, the nav light circuit turns on the ADSB system. That’s the way it is designed.

The other question about the dome light, that was never tied to the dimmer, it has its own on/off switch. The dimmer was connected to the lights above the side windows that illuminate the instrument panel. Guess the Piper engineers figured the only time you needed them was when you also needed the nav lights.

I have the micro dim to put in my PA-16, yeah it is a little expensive, but what in aviation isn’t?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    If he has either the SkyBeacon or Tailbeacon, the nav light circuit turns on the ADSB system. That’s the way it is designed.

The other question about the dome light, that was never tied to the dimmer, it has its own on/off switch. The dimmer was connected to the lights above the side windows that illuminate the instrument panel. Guess the Piper engineers figured the only time you needed them was when you also needed the nav lights.

I have the micro dim to put in my PA-16, yeah it is a little expensive, but what in aviation isn’t?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I do have the SkyBeacon installed. Power runs through the Nav light circuit, it seems that my dimmer feature on the switch has failed. I should have said I was looking for a replacement dimmer switch! Sorry for the confusion.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    I do have the SkyBeacon installed. Power runs through the Nav light circuit, it seems that my dimmer feature on the switch has failed. I should have said I was looking for a replacement dimmer switch! Sorry for the confusion.

Greg
    I would go with the MAX DIM by Seaton Engineering. It is STC'd for our aircraft, you could also incorporate any other instruments that you have into the dimmer circuit. MICRO DIM SWP will need a field approval.

A simple 5A breaker and MS toggle switch would control your NAV LTS and ADS-B out pwr. Plenty of later model Piper circuits to copy.

https://seatoneng.com/wp-content/upl.../SA01800SE.pdf

https://seatoneng.com/wp-content/upl...-AB-Dimmer.pdf

https://seatoneng.com/wp-content/upl...9100-001-A.pdf

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...maxDimUnit.php
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 01-06-2022 at 05:45 PM.