Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Approved Compass ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Approved Compass ?

I want to replace my compass . I need one that is approved for use in our aircraft . In San Diego there are no Field Approval so I need one I can legally install .
    Are there any models available?

Im in annual and mine is dry and needs rebuilding but itís in such bad shape itís better just to replace
    Broken mount screws in the base , dry , broken screws in the correct in card ect

Iím driving up to Aircraft Spruce today and need some help

Im hoping this will work

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...h_compass3.php

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Approved Compass ?

Pretty much any TSO C7 compass would be OK. If it is one that mounts on top of the Blair shield, then the C2400 you identified should be fine. A lot of folks like the vertices card compasses.

Why not just get the one you have overhauled?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks like my local instrument shop has a rebuilt exchange on the shelf !

dgapilot - I’m getting very impatient with this repair / annual . I want to fly my plane
    At this point I would gladly buy new just for the time factor
    My I/A said he could rebuild it but I’m afraid it could be another month waiting ��

Post Thanks / Like

I rebuilt mine with the overhaul kit, had my IA inspect it and he made a logbook entry reflecting that fact. We call those "teachable moments".
    Replaced the gaskets, fluid and a few bits of hardware.
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...cocomseal2.php
    Good time to replace the undoubtedly dead lamp in the compass, too. Buy ten and keep in seatback pocket.
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...lickkey=113350
    Did a couple spins on the local compass calibration rose (thank you 99s!) and got it close, updated the correction card.
    Took longer to deal with the inaccessible brass mounting hardware on underside of glareshield than the actual overhaul.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine was pretty bad , I do Instruments for a living so having it dry for a while , the calibration screw assembly was corroded and seized . I stopped buy the instrument shop on our field just to see if they sold them over the counter .
    Sure enough they had a core sitting on the shelf , replaced the calibration assembly and gave me a new calibration card for the same price of a new one at aircraft spruce .
    However they did not sell toggle switches ( I needed two for my bad nav light /interior dimmer ) switch so I still had to drive up to Corona ( aircraft spruce )

As far as “ teachable moments “ I had those after I got back and installed the switches for the lights . Holy Cow that’s a tough place to get to

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sierrasplitter View Post
    Looks like my local instrument shop has a rebuilt exchange on the shelf !

dgapilot - Iím getting very impatient with this repair / annual . I want to fly my plane
    At this point I would gladly buy new just for the time factor
    My I/A said he could rebuild it but Iím afraid it could be another month waiting ��
    Just an fyi, while ďrebuildingĒ a compass is an easy task, an A&P/IA is not authorized to repair instruments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    I rebuilt mine with the overhaul kit, had my IA inspect it and he made a logbook entry reflecting that fact. We call those "teachable moments".
    Replaced the gaskets, fluid and a few bits of hardware.
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...cocomseal2.php
    Good time to replace the undoubtedly dead lamp in the compass, too. Buy ten and keep in seatback pocket.
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...lickkey=113350
    Did a couple spins on the local compass calibration rose (thank you 99s!) and got it close, updated the correction card.
    Took longer to deal with the inaccessible brass mounting hardware on underside of glareshield than the actual overhaul.

GG
    Hope FAA never sees that entry or he will likely get a violation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Hope FAA never sees that entry or he will likely get a violation.

Hey dgapilot, I usually really appreciate your inputs here, but here, I'm a little perplexed. Are you trying to provoke fear, uncertainty, and doubt in our forum over the FAA's potential response to a fellow shortwing aviator trying to do the right thing for his aircraft by rebuilding his own compass and subsequently having that rebuild approved by his IA? Or did I misinterpret your response?

I say thanks to Glen and all others who post fixes for any and all parts of these planes. Without them, I think many more planes and pilots would sit on the ground when they should be flying. My opinion.

In this case of a worn out compass, I think everybody knows they are a vital and informative piece of nav. gear. So a rebuilt and fully functioning one is in a pilots best interest. I say bravo to the initiative required to figure out how to do it right, and pass that information on to us. It's why I'm here.

Last time I checked my compass was to compare it with my mini iPad tablet FlyQ GPS heading vs. my Dynon heading, to reset my vacuum driven DG. I still haven't figured out how to read the micro-print correction card mounted below it when flying. So I tend to go with Dynon and FlyQ as Truth In the Universe if I've been holding a heading for a while, and set my DG to that. Sometimes I take an average in my head and set it to that. Since it drifts continuously, but only gets ugly if I'm maneuvering, it's good enough. I have redundancy in my system and that leads to safety, which I believe is the FAA's original #1 objective.

I thank you for your normally salient and supportive responses on this forum. I've learned much from you.

-Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Compass is an instrument and can only legally be repaired or overhauled by a certified repair station. An A&P/IA certificate does not grant us that privilege. Plenty of us might have done it over the years but would be a pathway for the FAA to violate us.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, my point was that 99% of FAA certificate actions are only successful due to self incrimination of the certificate holder! Why in Gods name would someone make a log book entry and sign it saying ď I willfully violated the regulationsĒ!

As Steve indicated, a compass is an instrument and only repair stations are authorized to make repairs on instruments.

Can you physically make the repairs, yes. Can you do them correctly, no. Do you have the proper documentation? Do you have the training? Do you have the proper tool? The answer to those questions is no you do not! To properly do a compass, you need a vacuum chamber.

That said, is it done? Sure, all the time. But when it is done, the entry should likely be something along the order of ď removed old compass, installed used serviceable compassĒ. True, you have violated 43.9 in that you did not describe all the work you performed, but unless someone has proof otherwise (like a bill listing the parts, and labor charges for the repair), you have not incriminated yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk