Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Nose Wheel Shimmy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nose Wheel Shimmy

I just flew my "new to me" '57 Tri Pacer, and noticed the nose wheel has a distinct "shimmy" at certain taxi speeds and after landing when slowing down. I understand that some shimmy may be expected, but I am think not this much. Advice on what t look for? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nose Wheel Shimmy

Get out your POH and read what it says about tire pressure: my '61 said 22psi for the mains and 17psi for the nose, you put 32psi and she will wiggle a lot.

Behond that you might need a fair amount of servicing by an experienced Tripacer/ Cherokee mechanic familure with the Piper nose wheel system. Lot of wear points, bolts and bushings, shimmy damper, end the rod ends and the steering yoke on the top of your oleo strut. Really need to tie the tail down to a sucker, not sucker darn spell check, secure tiedown or whatever and start moving things around to see where the play is, best with the bottom cowl off.

Try the tire pressure first

Rocket
    Last edited by rocket; 01-07-2022 at 08:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I will start there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a slight shimmy at my annual this year as well. Rocket has a great point about the myriad of things up front with the nose wheel. Mechanic found that the retention bolt (?) at the top of the strut assembly had sheared off at some point. Huge lesson learned for me on that.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pick the nose gear up off the ground and rotate side to side and see if anything is loose and check that your shimmy dampener is providing resistance. Found the bushings on my wife nose gear scissors worn and the play was causing a shimmy.