Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slight list to port

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slight list to port

Noticed airplane has a lower left wing when sitting level on ground then right. Not much, but enough to notice head clearance issues at one end vs the other. Gear legs are exactly the same height at attach point to frame. Strut adjustment bolt thingy's at strut bottoms are noticeably longer on the right side. Also, hands off aielerons held dead level, the airplane rolls to the left, ball centered with no rudder pressure. In flight, there is a slight right aieleron deflection necessary, and slight rudder pressure. Once input, no aileron mainteance pressure is required to maintain straight and level un yawed flight.

So, is it possibly as simple as the right wing has more dihedral?

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Slight list to port

Check aircraft level with plumb bob and string, then look to see what the dihedral is. If the dihedral is off, you are at square 1 and starting the entire rigging procedure. There arenít any short cuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

In a properly rigged ShortWing the left and right strut bottom attach bolts have about the same number of threads showing. I would check the dihedral as the first step in the rigging procedure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    In a properly rigged ShortWing the left and right strut bottom attach bolts have about the same number of threads showing. I would check the dihedral as the first step in the rigging procedure.
    Unless the plane wrecked and fuselage is tweaked and then the strut forks could be adjusted differently.

Good thread with step by step procedures and pictures. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...p?5328-Rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Worked on a J3 like that, the fuselage was a parallelogram instead of a rectangle. Forks were extended on one side and all the way in on the other. Still couldn't make the dihedral equal on both sides but was able to get the airplane to fly pretty straight.

Post Thanks / Like

Miss Pearl’s forks are all the way out on one side and almost all the way in on the other. It was ground looped and a new section behind the baggage compartment was grafted on.

Post Thanks / Like

My maintainer's direction as well. Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Check aircraft level with plumb bob and string, then look to see what the dihedral is. If the dihedral is off, you are at square 1 and starting the entire rigging procedure. There aren’t any short cuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing in the logs regarding significant damage. When it was exported to Canada, the CAA inspector found some corrosion in a longeron, and prior to recover, a new section was welded in. Nothing since then. A gear leg was removed and XXX part replaced. As stated, the gear is very close or exactly the same height at the fuselage attachement point. Going to start with the plumb bob, and go from there. NOTE: at annual, the older 1080HD bungees were replaced with straight 1080's. Perhaps one of the new bungees is not so much? The left hydrosorb does show a bit more then the right.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
    There is nothing in the logs regarding significant damage. When it was exported to Canada, the CAA inspector found some corrosion in a longeron, and prior to recover, a new section was welded in. Nothing since then. A gear leg was removed and XXX part replaced. As stated, the gear is very close or exactly the same height at the fuselage attachement point. Going to start with the plumb bob, and go from there. NOTE: at annual, the older 1080HD bungees were replaced with straight 1080's. Perhaps one of the new bungees is not so much? The left hydrosorb does show a bit more then the right.

Scott

ya just answered your own question. If the bungees are sagging the wing will be lower. Pick up the left wing and relax the bungee and see if she sits level then.

Most often its the easiest and most obvious thing but we tend to jump straight to worst case scenarios.

Post Thanks / Like

When I am flying solo with both tanks topped off the plane flys hands and feet off. I tend to burn the right tank first in cruise so I have left tank fullest for low level maneuvering and landing. As the gas burns out of the right tank I will have to hold in a touch of aileron or rudder. When tanks are full I can bank the plane left and right or climb and descend by leaning what direction I want to go (it doesn't take much leaning either).