Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Installling a TailBeaconX inside the fuselage

  1. #11
    1953 Piper Tripacer N3328 DavidT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Installling a TailBeaconX inside the fuselage

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidT View Post
    Any update to the uAvionix PA22 Approved Model List TailBeaconX installation?
    So I heard back from uAvionix customer service and they wrote that the PA-22 should’ve been included on the approved model list for the tailBeaconX and they are updating the AML soon. Meanwhile I was sent paperwork to accommodate the X installation. However my avionics tech says the small hole in the rudder near the control horn is too narrow for the larger pair of wires needed for communication with the uAvionix AV-30-C EFIS/transponder. We are afraid the fabric will tear if he tries to fish the larger wire through the original holes.
    He is calling uAvionix directly to find out more.
    Additional info from this group would be welcome!
    David T ‘53 Tripacer
    1953 Piper Tripacer N3328A

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Frederick MD
    Posts
    1,732
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Installling a TailBeaconX inside the fuselage

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidT View Post
    So I heard back from uAvionix customer service and they wrote that the PA-22 should’ve been included on the approved model list for the tailBeaconX and they are updating the AML soon. Meanwhile I was sent paperwork to accommodate the X installation. However my avionics tech says the small hole in the rudder near the control horn is too narrow for the larger pair of wires needed for communication with the uAvionix AV-30-C EFIS/transponder. We are afraid the fabric will tear if he tries to fish the larger wire through the original holes.
    He is calling uAvionix directly to find out more.
    Additional info from this group would be welcome!
    David T ‘53 Tripacer
    Take a soldering iron and open up the hole! Very simple solution.

  3. #13
    Gilbert Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Germantown, Tennessee 01TN
    Posts
    4,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Installling a TailBeaconX inside the fuselage

    Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Take a soldering iron and open up the hole! Very simple solution.
    That is what I would do and have done to create drain holes.

  4. #14
    Administrator Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Graham, Texas, United States
    Posts
    14,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Installling a TailBeaconX inside the fuselage

    I would do like described and burn a larger hole just be sure there are two layers of fabric. If not glue a leather grommet over it like the cable exits on most rag and tube Pipers.

  5. #15
    1953 Piper Tripacer N3328 DavidT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Installling a TailBeaconX inside the fuselage

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I would do like described and burn a larger hole just be sure there are two layers of fabric. If not glue a leather grommet over it like the cable exits on most rag and tube Pipers.
    Thanks for the soldering iron suggestions. I’ll check on it and let the group know. DT
    1953 Piper Tripacer N3328A

  6. #16
    Administrator Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Graham, Texas, United States
    Posts
    14,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Installling a TailBeaconX inside the fuselage

    Just be careful if it is covered in nitrate/butyrate dope. Have a wet rag handy. We were recovering Rare Bear's tail feathers in nitrate/butyrate to get the fabric more taunt (less flex at race speeds) when the temp control on the iron went crazy and fabric ignited and started burning. My daughter freaked out never having seen what nitrate can do.

  7. #17
    1953 Piper Tripacer N3328 DavidT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Installling a TailBeaconX inside the fuselage

    Wilco. Looks like I’m sticking to a Skybeacon for now, but thanks for the advice.
    1953 Piper Tripacer N3328A

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •