Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Clipper needing some TLC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clipper needing some TLC

Been on BS for a couple months for 6 grand, wonder how much money it would take to get in the air

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Clipper needing some TLC

The left gear looks bent. Probably full restoration with some repairs.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Been sitting a long time. Old friend reached out to me about it in 2018. New gear, fuselage repair, new front and rear spar, leading edge, false spar, aileron and lots of time.

Post Thanks / Like

During a groundloop is it common for that lower inner gear tube to take most of the stress and bend like this one? I know someone that got airborne in a crosswind takeoff and aborted because the upwind wing lifted and the downwind wing was going to hit the runway, at the moment the abort commenced and power brought to idle the plane was picked up and became airborn and whethervained into the wind, when it came back down it was off the runway and touched down moving sideways with the left main gear wheel hitting hard but it was wet mud and sliiiid through the mud and came to a rest about 30 feet away. No visual damage, nothing bent. I wonder what part of the gear bends first in a situation like that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow the load path, wheels is being pushed in towards the fuselage, the streamline tube will only take so much compression before it buckles. This is what fails on a Short Wing in a ground loop. The fuselage carry-thu tube then bends where the gear pushes up on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine had no damage, and an overhauled engine but no documentation for the overhaul. Title issues as well. I paid $4500 about 4 years ago. Don’t think I would pay more than about $2500 for this one given the damage. Figure if it is an O-235, it will be less expensive to buy an O-320 unless you already have cylinders to put on it. O-235 cylinders will set you back over $10k today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk