Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Headliner restoration question

Post Thanks / Like

Question Headliner restoration question

My fairly new headliner (2009) is in really great shape i.e. no holes no tears, but it has set in a hanger for 10 years and is dingy and has a sticky feel. Is there any way to bring this back to life? Is there a polish I can use such as white shoe polish? I really don't want to replace this unless I have to.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Headliner restoration question

Quote Originally Posted by mholton63 View Post
    My fairly new headliner (2009) is in really great shape i.e. no holes no tears, but it has set in a hanger for 10 years and is dingy and has a sticky feel. Is there any way to bring this back to life? Is there a polish I can use such as white shoe polish? I really don't want to replace this unless I have to.
    The first thing I'd do is check for mice nests and droppings if the airplane was sitting for close to 12 years.
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

The least destructive first try would be a spray bottle containing water diluted with an air freshener. Use a hair dryer on it. Might kill off the smell and do a little tightening too. If it wasn't overhead, I'd also try a touch of diluted bleach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CTJER View Post
    The first thing I'd do is check for mice nests and droppings if the airplane was sitting for close to 12 years.
    Jerry
    I'm in the middle recovering the plane. the only mouse nest I found was in the wing. Wings, control surfaces and tail feathers are now covered. Just about done with the fuselage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

The least destructive first try would be a spray bottle containing water diluted with an air freshener. Use a hair dryer on it. Might kill off the smell and do a little tightening too. If it wasn't overhead, I'd also try a touch of diluted bleach.
    I tried cleaning it with oxy clean, but I think it was a little too harsh. it started to remove the finish. As far as tightening it up. Will a hair dryer really shrink it? I'd like to re-stretch it after I glue it back on around the doors and window frame from putting the cloth on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mholton63 View Post
    I tried cleaning it with oxy clean, but I think it was a little too harsh. it started to remove the finish. As far as tightening it up. Will a hair dryer really shrink it? I'd like to re-stretch it after I glue it back on around the doors and window frame from putting the cloth on.
    Depends on the material.. wool will shrink with water and heat.. I use a steamer.. vinyl on the other hand.. best you can do there is stretch it by hand and glue it down..

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    Depends on the material.. wool will shrink with water and heat.. I use a steamer.. vinyl on the other hand.. best you can do there is stretch it by hand and glue it down..

Brian
    If not too late in the fuselage recover and you can see the back side of the headlining, I'd pull it and replace. Probably a lot easier then replacing with the fuselage closed. Especially if the windscreen is out. Airtex is about $300.00. A small percentage add on to recover costs.
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

If not too late in the fuselage recover and you can see the back side of the headlining, I'd pull it and replace. Probably a lot easier then replacing with the fuselage closed. Especially if the windscreen is out. Airtex is about $300.00. A small percentage add on to recover costs.
    Jerry
    Had a bit of a disappointing conversation with Airtex this morning. I'm now installing the headliner in my Colt and while the section over the baggage are was a bit of a wrestling match, got it done. Next is to go after the trim indicator. Airtex apologized but offer no guidance. Anyone have experience with thus? My plan is to cut a hole for the indicator pully shaft, as accurately as I can, install all the trim indicator parts except for the indicator escutcheon. Then cut the liner through the backing plate slot and fold the cut flaps up to the top if the plate and glue. The headliner is not cemented to the windscreen or side window structure. Still need to hook up the instrument lights. Seems pretty straight forward.
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Had a bit of a disappointing conversation with Airtex this morning. I'm now installing the headliner in my Colt and while the section over the baggage are was a bit of a wrestling match, got it done. Next is to go after the trim indicator. Airtex apologized but offer no guidance. Anyone have experience with thus? My plan is to cut a hole for the indicator pully shaft, as accurately as I can, install all the trim indicator parts except for the indicator escutcheon. Then cut the liner through the backing plate slot and fold the cut flaps up to the top if the plate and glue. The headliner is not cemented to the windscreen or side window structure. Still need to hook up the instrument lights. Seems pretty straight forward.
    Jerry
    Not the way I did it. I pulled it all evenly tight and glued the sides first. Then with the trim indicator shaft standing proud, knew exactly where to cut for the backing plate and the rest of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Not the way I did it. I pulled it all evenly tight and glued the sides first. Then with the trim indicator shaft standing proud, knew exactly where to cut for the backing plate and the rest of it.
    As I move forward on the install, I now plan to do as you suggest. Headlining now cemented in place up to the instrument lights. Tomorrow I'll wire up and the dome light as well. As I'm working in the door area I noted that I'm missing trim strip 12189-00. Anyone have a drawing or picture for reference. Even better one to sell.
    jerry