Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Replacing Lift Struts on Colt; Advice? Instructions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Replacing Lift Struts on Colt; Advice? Instructions?

We are about to install new lift struts on a Colt and I would like advice from those in the know.

I searched the forum but did not come across an instruction thread other than several on the bolts and torque (or lack there-of) on the strut hardware.

I would like to know of any good procedures to preserve the rigging, if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Stephanie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Replacing Lift Struts on Colt; Advice? Instructions?

Easiest way I have found is to use a sheet rock lift to hold the wing, pull the old struts and measure them eye to eye, set the new struts at that same length and install. You can count threads etc and that will get you close, but a hard measurement eye to eye on the old will be spot on if duplicated on the new struts.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!
    That was along the lines of what I was hoping; (I do that with turnbuckles all the time), but I wasn't sure how measuring would work since the new part is different, but that makes total sense! You sure helped my confidence!

The sheet rock lift is a great idea!

Stephanie

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

The last time I replaced any I made several blocks of wood and used a 2x6 longer than the struts. I drilled two of the blocks using the diameter of the upper bolt and a single block with a vertical hole sized the same as the short bottom fork bolt. I slid the upper bolt through one of its blocks, through the upper strut hole, then slid on the second block of wood. I then screwed those two blocks to the 2x6 near its end, the strut laying pretty much centered along the board. I then slipped the strut fork bolt down through the fork and into it's block of wood. Position that block on the board, screw it down too. So, now you have the strut mounted in blocks of wood and the bolts held exactly the proper distance apart. Put your new parts on your new strut and make the bolts slide through the wood blocks as easily as they were removed. I found a half turn different on a fork adjustment is very obvious using this method.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I install a long bolt in the end that attaches to the wing to aid in measuring.

If you have a heavy wing I pull the bolt at the wing on the heavy wing rear strut, drop the strut down, turn it in one turn and test fly again. If it was a little to much I remove at the fuselage and turn the fork in half a turn but that requires lifting the wing.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 06-15-2022 at 06:21 AM.