Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: PA-17 Oil Change Parts

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-17 Oil Change Parts

Hello again,
    I'm about to do my first oil change on my PA-17, and I cannot find the part numbers for the parts I need.
    I have a C85-8 and I'm sure I need a screen and a washer and ???
    Unfortunately my 74 year old parts manual photocopy is missing this info.
    Also, what's the consensus for where to send the oil to get it tested?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-17 Oil Change Parts

We've always used the AOA kit from Spruce. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=10975

Don't know enough to say it's the one to use but i know enough that you should stick with same one each time. We probably picked this one because it was the least expensive which isn't always the best criteria. Hopefully someone else can chime in here with more helpful info.

Not sure about the C85-8 but on our O-290D2 you also need patience and an extensive vocabulary of foul language. The screen housing
    Mounting bolts are not easily removed. There's a paper gasket that gets replaced on ours. We dont check the screen as often as we should.
    ďSeek advice but use your own common sense.Ē
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MS35769-48 and a -11. See Figure 11 items 20 and 22. http://veteranflyg.se/wordpress/wp-c...g-Aug-2011.pdf
    I use Blackstone for oil analysis. https://www.blackstone-labs.com/engine-types/aircraft/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all the good info.
    Downloaded the engine manual.
    Downloaded the manual for "Authorized Aviation Bad Words and Foul Language".
    Now I can knock over a couple liquor stores to make some money to pay for my oil change, (which I will do myself), my 500 hr mag check and my annual scheduled for next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
    Hello again,
    I'm about to do my first oil change on my PA-17, and I cannot find the part numbers for the parts I need.
    I have a C85-8 and I'm sure I need a screen and a washer and ???
    Unfortunately my 74 year old parts manual photocopy is missing this info.
    Also, what's the consensus for where to send the oil to get it tested?

Thanks
    You only clean the screen, you donít replace it. What ever vendor you use for analysis, stay with the same one for the length of your ownership. It would be best to have an A&P walk you through it the first time. Screwing up the oil temperature capillary is an EXPENSIVE mistake! You will need the gaskets and safety wire. Again if you donít know how to install safety wire, have an A& P teach you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk