Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Wagabond engine

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wagabond engine

Has any one flown Wagabond (pa-17 clone) with an o320 engine? Any info on handling would be great, power/performance should be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wagabond engine

While I can't comment directly on the O-320, here's some comparative info that may be of help. I own a Wagabond (Traveler version) that I bought from the builder nearly 4 years ago and have flown it for about 400 hours. It has an O-235-L2C engine from a C-152 and a lightweight Sensenich wooden prop pitched for takeoff/climb. The gross weight was set at 1320 lbs by the builder to keep it within LSA standards instead of the published 1450 lbs. At 1320 gross, the performance is pretty good, 450' takeoff roll, about 600-700 FPM climb and 90 KT cruise. Although the engine is mounted pretty close to the firewall, I push the forward CG limit solo despite a lightweight alternator and starter. I keep a small tool box in the baggage compartment when solo to make 3-point landings easier to attain . The extra weight of the O-320 may make it tough to get the airframe in the proper CG range.

Post Thanks / Like

I briefly owned a Wagabond (N84RV) with a partner that had an O-235 that had been on a Grumman Yankee. I got to fly in it once before the partner bought me out, so I don’t have any performance specs.

There was an article years ago by Jack Cox (writer for EAA Sport Aviation) in a magazine he individually published that was about a Wagabond which used an O-320 that came out of a Robinson R-22. I don’t have magazine, but I’ll see if I can come up with something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Should perform like a Clipper I would think. The O-320 makes a really good airplane great.