Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie help needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie help needed

This is my first visit here and it looks to be very informative. A little about myself... I am a low time pilot just getting thru my check ride prep. I found a decent priced Tri Pacer with the 0290d2 motor and am trying to find a good a&p near KINT Winston-Salem NC to help with a pre buy. The owner said its a solid plane but the RPM gauge reads low and the transponder cuts in and out so the price is negotiable. I don't know what that would be worth so I would really like to find someone to help. Any thoughts or opinions etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbie help needed

A 0-290 Tri Pacer should be a reasonable priced plane to purchase. I wonder what it means that the tach reads low. A new tach is no big deal. A transponder cutting out sounds like a solvable electrical problem. What is the engine compression history, how many hours since oh? How does the fabric look? Do you see any major rust inside on the tubing? Prob the lower longerons with an ice pick. How is the radio? Does it have adsb out? Fill the tanks and look for fuel leaks. Fly the plane, does it track straight?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. I never would have known that the fuel tanks could be an issue. It has basic radios and adsb plus an older garmin. I suspect a lot of issues I could fix myself under a&p supervision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you read this thread? https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ase-Inspection
    Lots of avionics shops have stacks of older transponders if the issue is the transponder itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve !

Post Thanks / Like

If you have not already you might want to get the FAA CD documents and check that everything is correct. When i was in the market there were a few i had to walk away from due to Old leans never documented cleared, undocumented stuff that should be on a 337, Only one of two owners transfer of ownership, and some other sketchy ****.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Have you read this thread? https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ase-Inspection
    Lots of avionics shops have stacks of older transponders if the issue is the transponder itself.

what Steve said. My advice is put your wallet down and read read read on here and supercub.org. Don’t get in a hurry to buy, and avail yourself of as much knowledge as you can before pulling the trigger. find resources in your area and do your best to find a mentor who has a breadth of experience and is willing to walk with you through the process. There’s a huge reward to be had, but there’s a lot of traps and pitfalls of one is over eager.

good luck, and keep us posted!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the great advice everyone. I ordered the cd last night . The owners are both a&p's which in my mind is a good thing but also may be a bad thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kawboy1441 View Post
    Thanks for all of the great advice everyone. I ordered the cd last night . The owners are both a&p's which in my mind is a good thing but also may be a bad thing.
    Once you have you questions, they should be able to answer them.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

What's the asking price?