Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PA-20 fatal accident

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-20 fatal accident

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeypilot View Post
    Yes. I own a pa-12 based in McCall and operate twin otters flying smokejumpers also from mccall.
    I think I landed right behind you last year in September at JC. You were in the twin Otter. Idaho was a fun trip, I’ll be back in the near future.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

I checked my video, it was on 9/15, but it was at Big Creek, not Johnson Creek. I came out of Cabin Creek that morning and was going to Big Creek for a late (second) breakfast. Your call sign was "Jump 43" (?).

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Pm me to chat. I don’t want to hijack a thread of this nature.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeypilot View Post
    Pm me to chat. I don’t want to hijack a thread of this nature.
    Hijack away.. this is good stuff, lots to learn from you all that fly up there regularly. No flying when sun is out after noon, no eating before flying.. keep it going, might save someone. I scared me a little one day up here in flat old midwest on a hot august summer day.. a Clipper with an o235 at gross in late afternoon august at 800 msl field elevation is not a very good performer coming out of a 3000 foot grass strip with big trees on each end
    Last edited by PA-16; 07-03-2022 at 11:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciated. The real thing to do if you want to fly in the canyons and mountains and don’t have a background in it is to get some dual or at minimum tag along with someone in the know. I feel like some people think that the warnings they get about flying out here comes from a place of ego, or that they’re over-stated. This couldn’t be farther from the truth. I don’t want anyone to shy away from partaking of the great gift of the backcountry we have up here. I just can’t emphasize enough the importance of training, a realistic attitude about one’s aircraft and personal capabilities, and a willingness to just say no when the situation calls for it. The cliché holds true: better to be on the ground yearning to be in the air than the other way around.

all that being said, I want to reiterate that I’m not speculating on cause in this particular case. Like anywhere, even the most skilled and experienced get bit on occasion. Tailwinds to those lost. May we go the rest of the season without another fatality!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The first time I flew in Idaho was with a group of experienced pilots. There was a lot of information shared both on the ground and in the air over the radio. I have been back many times and love flying there and still learn something. It was funny because a few years ago a couple of guys came up to us at JC and wanted to know if they could tag along that they had not flown there before. I laughed to myself cause I thought I don't have that much experience. Over the next few days I realized what I had learned over the years and passed that on to them. We had an excellent trip and are all real good friends to this day. Have flown with them in Idaho, Utah and Arkansas.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s great to hear Steve. Comparatively I’m just a babe in the woods up here. It’s great to be surrounded by so many here that are willing to share the knowledge : )

Post Thanks / Like

Been flying the Idaho backcountry for 50 years. Chamberlain basin had trees back then!

Most accidents occur during landing and takeoffs. Takeoffs being the most risky.

Wander where along the route this crash occurred? Bad deal. I'm sure the lord was there to catch them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don D View Post
    Been flying the Idaho backcountry for 50 years. Chamberlain basin had trees back then!

Most accidents occur during landing and takeoffs. Takeoffs being the most risky.

Wander where along the route this crash occurred? Bad deal. I'm sure the lord was there to catch them.
    I just spent a night at lower loon and spoke with one of the ranchers that witnessed the accident. After takeoff they turned left up the first drainage on the west side of the middle fork, disappearing from view. Shortly afterward there was a plume of smoke. Rancher mentioned another pilot had said that the wreckage was on the north aspect and looked like they may have nearly made the turn back downhill(conjecture). There was apparently some length to the crash site perhaps indicating they had kept the wing flying (my conjecture based on previous conjecture. I can’t make heads or tails of why they would have left the main drainage like that. Hopefully the final report will at least lend some learning to this sad accident.
    Last edited by Smokeypilot; 07-08-2022 at 12:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Evening flying in the canyons can be tricky due to shadows. I know the times I have gone into Johnson late, it looks like a black hole. Turning out of the Middle Fork shorty after take off from Lower Loon would be tough to out climb the terrain. Flying down stream and gaining altitude is a typical safe practice.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."