Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body filler for aluminum

Post Thanks / Like

Default Body filler for aluminum

Good recommendation for an aluminum filler pre paint touch up on the nose bowl cowling? And, what grit paper, wet or dry?
    It's a curved shape, never done this, so pointers appreciated.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Body filler for aluminum

I have used Marinetek (spelling?) on my nose bowl. I think I purchased at aircraft spruce, but not sure anymore. It’s been three years. I started with 150 grit dry and then finished with 300 wet.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

This is good stuff and easy to work with on aluminum https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RMITIA

Post Thanks / Like

A quality automotive glazing putty (two part with a hardener, not the stuff in a squeeze tube) would work well for minor imperfections. Larger dents, a strait up body filler or PolyFil by polyfiber works well. Be sure your not filling anything deeper than 1/8” and scratch the metal with 36 grit to give it tooth so your repair doesn’t fall out in a couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I should say the crack in the bowl I an repairing is now backed up by a patch on the interior of the oil cooler opening. It's right on the right bend as you look at the airplane, the bulk being on the bottom. The crack is now smooth, if that makes sense, but still cracked (hairline) that needs filling and smoothing. The bare metal has been roughed up. The hairline crack is mabye 2 inches, and the entire area is 2 inches square.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    This is good stuff and easy to work with on aluminum https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RMITIA
    Is this spreadable and sandable for blending in the small crack repair?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Has the crack been stop drilled?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use Poly-Fiber Super Fil and sometimes 3M spot putty. 320 and 400 grit sand paper.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use "Metal Set A4" or "EA 9309.3NA".
    For metal, I prefer the metal set and usually use the EA 9309.3NA for composites, but it works really well on metals too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
    I should say the crack in the bowl I an repairing is now backed up by a patch on the interior of the oil cooler opening. It's right on the right bend as you look at the airplane, the bulk being on the bottom. The crack is now smooth, if that makes sense, but still cracked (hairline) that needs filling and smoothing. The bare metal has been roughed up. The hairline crack is mabye 2 inches, and the entire area is 2 inches square.
    Should have welded it. The nose bowl is 3003 and easy to weld once you burn all the oil and impurities out. I hate seeing riveted patches on nose bowls! As for filler, just more time with a spoon and dolly block.