Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Military decals legal?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Military decals legal?

I tried looking it up, to no avail. My son is a Marine, and works on F-18 fighters. I was wondering if it would be legal to put decals on my plane, with his unit insignia. Not trying to dress it up like a fighter. Just a “support” thing. He’s with the VMFA 232 or “Red Devils”. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Military decals legal?

I have restored many old military aircraft. Most were painted in correct era paint schemes and markings. As long as the aircraft has contrasting 2” inch registration numbers you are legal. I have seen many contrasting numbers that seem to stretch that definition. You are supposed to have 12” high registration numbers for international operations but I have never had customs or an official even comment on this issue. Of course, anything with other than a Standard Airworthiness Registration is not supposed to be operated Internationally without a special flight permit either. I have only seen this issue brought up one time and that was after the local LEO’s started taking shots at them.
    ‘I would honor your son and his outfit proudly. HOO RAH!
    N2709P

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Military decals legal?

thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by N2709P View Post
    I have restored many old military aircraft. Most were painted in correct era paint schemes and markings. As long as the aircraft has contrasting 2” inch registration numbers you are legal. I have seen many contrasting numbers that seem to stretch that definition. You are supposed to have 12” high registration numbers for international operations but I have never had customs or an official even comment on this issue. Of course, anything with other than a Standard Airworthiness Registration is not supposed to be operated Internationally without a special flight permit either. I have only seen this issue brought up one time and that was after the local LEO’s started taking shots at them.
    ‘I would honor your son and his outfit proudly. HOO RAH!
    N2709P