Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Move to a grass strip ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Move to a grass strip ?

hi, there is a hangar open at an airport quite a bit closer to home but a grass strip.
    Owner states that it drains well and will plow if required this winter.
    CT24 is 3100 feet right on the 42N line and winters highs are normally above freezing, lows well below.
    Clipper is sporting 8.50-6 tires.
    Thoughts before I bail out of a nice black asphalt runway ? Thanks
    Donn
    1949 Clipper PA-16 O-235

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Move to a grass strip ?

Sounds great. You might want to save up for a set of 26 inch Goodyears for winter.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

All things equal, my Clipper on 8.50-6 tires prefers the grass.

Might check with insurance if that is a concern for your operations. I was surprised when my agent told me that turf was considerer a net positive from their risk profile for taildragger operations. From my time with nose draggers, I was always told turf was dangerous.

Who mows the grass, chaises the neighboring cows off, fixes the ruts and hoof traffic on the threshold? Is that type of maintenance covered by a fee or does every one take a week or month. For us, it is a waiting game for the owner (me or my wife) to get out there and fix it. But we love it. Definitely living the dream on a private grass strip. There have been a few days that we have missed flying due to weather and the field condition. But overall, it is awesome.

A few random questions based on what I have worked on... Is there a good driveway to the proposed hangar for wet weather? Is the building or the space for the airplane parking high and dry? Lights, electric, shipping and receiving options? Access to maintenance and shop equipment?

IMG_8049.JPG

This photo is some overgrown grass at a private strip in WV. The picture looks better than it really was. You can see the weeds have already gone to bloom. At full gross weight we were still off in about 750 Ft. The fact this strip is pointed down into a holler helps the T/O roll. The Clipper is a great performer on grass.

288274437_542242654037585_5379375140593305262_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

My Clipper and Vag have been on grass for 28 years. No Bonanza’s , SR22’s, Twins. No one wanting a five mile straight in.
    I wouldn’t have it any other way. A little wet at times but never closed and normally quiet. We renters used to maintain it when the rent was $50. per month per hangar. It’s now $150. per month per hangar and the airfield’s new owner provides everything. The turf has never been in better shape.
    15 minutes from my house.

The watchouts and questions to ask outlined above are all valid concerns. We have a grass field several miles away that is poorly maintained. Most of the tenets gave up and left.

One other advantage is you probably won’t have the airport bums riding around on golf carts looking for open hangars so they can regale the people working in them with their flying exploits and offering their opinion on how do whatever you are doing. This was a big problem for me when I was maintaining several airplanes at the large paved GA airport. I don’t like distractions when I am working on my or someone else’s airplane.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 10-02-2022 at 07:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The one thing I'd look for: how rodent-proof is the hangar? I also don't care for a dirt floor (dampness, bugs, creatures); what's the situation at this grass strip you're considering?

As far as grass, even my TP, when I was checking it out, was easily able to take off from a grass strip we visited, with stock tires. Granted it was just two of us and fuel tanks weren't full, but 57A lifted off using only about a third of the not-often-used (relatively tall grass) grass strip. I was quite impressed. (I don't know how long the runway was, but I could ask. It certainly wasn't overly long.)
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 10-03-2022 at 04:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased my plane (pa-22-150) and flew it from a grass/dirt strip.
    1000 ft elev
    2200 ft long 60 ft wide
    My home airport is 5000 ft 150 ft wide (asphalt)

My biggest concern was not taking off but having to return unexpectedly.
    Fortunately I continued toward home without difficulty.
    I agree with Walt - dirt floor hangars have their own unique issues.
    Last edited by Old3pacer; 10-04-2022 at 06:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The quality of the hangar and its amenities would be important to me. I fly at night and in IFR, so wouldn’t work for me, but if that is not important to you, then why not. I’m curious about plowing a grass runway in the winter. If not careful, you can do a lot of damage to the turf. At a minimum, expect a couple of inches of snow left after it’s plowed.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

I fly off of dirt, frequently and prefer it. KPOU has a grass strip parallel to 6/25, but they don't maintain it in the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Dirt now, where at ? Always looking for somewhere interesting to go. We did make the move over to CT24 and I now have a front row seat to see how we do on the grass all winter. Frost expected this week...

20221011 ct24.jpg
    Donn
    1949 Clipper PA-16 O-235

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

.......And your tires will last a very long time.