Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Cap Vent

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fuel Cap Vent

I looked at a friends Clipper recently that had this issue. She thought it was a floating rib. I told her that her tank bay rib was broken and it was a common issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

man, love this forum. Now I have visuals to show my I/A. Ordered a splice kit but I hope He just decides to make something. Going over today to chat about the repair. Hopefully have a good used fuel tank on the way. Tried Power washing mine. No Luck. Surprising nothing came out as far as debris

Post Thanks / Like

When I had my tanks out, at my A&P's suggestion I used Chemtool B-12 to soak them, then made up a floating scrubber from a 25" length of 1/8" music wire with a hinged 2"x3" copper sheet, corners turned down, to bite into a piece of ScotchBrite. That worked well to clean the inside, going in through the fuel sender hole. The Chemtool solvent came out quite a bit blacker than it went in!

DSC05061.JPG DSC05062.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I called a local Radiator/gas tank repair shop yesterday. I explained what I had and the guy told me to come on down. He says he can make the tank look new inside and check for leaks. If any are found No Issues welding them up. Out the door for 150-200 dollars. I live in the Motocross/Baja Race capital of the world and this guy makes all types of Aluminum tanks. He said it didn't matter to Him what was inside, it will be returned clean, like new. I figured its worth a shot.
    And, if the right tank looks like that............gotta borescope the left one.
    The I/A inspected the broken rib and I am ordering the Univar spar splice . I'm also so close to Annual that the I/A says to start it while we wait for parts.
    So, Im pulling my hard oil lines and finally installing a Casper Spin On filter adapter. ( Still a Filter Shortage ?)
    Thanks to everyone who helped Me out as usual. I will post up when I get the tank back
    Im sure I will have 10K questions about soft oil lines and the Casper adapter

Post Thanks / Like

( Still a Filter Shortage ?)
    Last week I received the Tempest filters from Spruce that I ordered on August 4th. Hopefully they're getting caught up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

24A38982-2AF3-41C6-8489-715D2C6988C3.jpeg

Well, can’t pull the right tank without pulling both correct ?
    That’s what Me and my I/A were discussing this morning. This afternoon the left tank goes to get cleaned.
    This is the hardest task I have found yet with my short wing , pulling fuel tanks . Mainly the bolts
    in the brace that runs through the tank . Pretty sure whoever designed that at Piper back in the day went on to design the 78 Chevy Camaro
    Never , ever , ect have I had such a Cuss Feast getting those out .
    Any tips for re installing the bolts on each end if the braces ? Short of ripping off the wing fabric ?

Post Thanks / Like

I used a magnet on the end of an aluminum rod --actually, an old Snap-On distributor tool (remember distributors??)-- to lower the nut & washer down into the corner... while using fingers to turn the little bolt to get the nut started on the threads. It helps to have small hands!

I only removed the bolt on the root end and just left the inboard bolt in place as a hinge point; tip tank up and slide off internal brace rod. BTW -- are your tank openings smaller than on my PA-22? They look like they might be.... or maybe it's just the camera angle...

DSC05020.JPG DSC05021.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link to my video showing me installing my tank https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK28ONT05Cw . I reached with my left hand through the rib from the top of the wing while reaching with my right hand through an inspection hole on the bottom of the wing giving the leading edge a hug. There are nine videos showing the process of recovering my wing.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Neat video, Juergen! Nice to put a face to a name, too. Couldn't help but notice your VW flag.... here's "may baby," a 2005 TDI BEW/PD.

%22My Baby%22 4:5:09 cut down.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have had them be a real bear and others slide right in. Also fired one of my mechanics when he egged the hole out in the rod without my knowledge and then lied about it. If really tight and have a 3/16" bullet (AN3 bolt with head cut off with the end turned down to a point in a drill on a sanding disc) while it is holding everything I push it out with the proper AN3 bolt. I slit a hole in the wing root fabric at the spar and but rib to work through and sometimes have to use a pair of needle nose vice grips to hold the bolt while working it into the rod and spar bracket. Not a fun job no matter what.