Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Right Seat Gascolator Install

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Right Seat Gascolator Install

Going to be installing Steve’s Gascolator this weekend in my PA22/20 under the right seat . Already have one on the firewall
    . Looking for pics from anyone that has done this ? Especially pics of the mounting bracket
    If no pics , I will be documenting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Right Seat Gascolator Install

I have a Steve's Gascolator on the firewall on my PA22 and it is a fine piece of hardware, worth every penny, and a very superior unit to the original part.
    But I am curious as to why you are installing such a spendy unit there?
    I'm sure you are aware that the original "back seat" gascolator does NOT have a screen in it, and IIRC, there is no maintenance requirement for it - no screen to inspect - and is only for preflight draining of possible water/debris from the lowest point of the right wing fuel circuit.

Cheers,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a Steve's Gascolator on the firewall on my PA22 and it is a fine piece of hardware, worth every penny, and a very superior unit to the original part.
    Me Too !

But I am curious as to why you are installing such a spendy unit there?
    Do you work for the FAA ....or my wife ? ( CFO)

I'm sure you are aware that the original "back seat" gascolator does NOT have a screen in it
    Your Assumptions are correct

Post Thanks / Like

I just read your comments in another thread, about the apparent fuel flow issue on right tank half full, high AOA.
    So now I understand your thoughts, to a point.
    Do you get good flow from the sumping valve of the rear gascolator, as good as the firewall sumping valve from the left tank for example?
    Open up the underseat gascolator and determine if there is no obstruction/restriction from the right tank rear port to the outlet of the gascolator, and beyond.
    Helpful hint: Do NOT blow compressed air into the fuel tank with the cap on, I know a chap that blew out the seams of the tank, his CFO was very unhappy about that.
    In fact, I would avoid blowing from lines into the tank in any event, you might free up a clog that later finds it's way back into the outlet.

Cheers,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Open up the underseat gascolator and determine if there is no obstruction/restriction from the right tank rear port to the outlet of the gascolator, and beyond.
    Already planning on that .That’s why I bought the New Gascolator so I won’t struggle trying to get the old one back together without leaking

Helpful hint: Do NOT blow compressed air into the fuel tank with the cap on, I know a chap that blew out the seams of the tank,
    Thats not a helpful hint . Nobody is that dumb

edit - Nobody that dumb should own or fly an aircraft
    Last edited by sierrasplitter; 11-10-2022 at 06:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Right Seat Gascolator Install

It’s easier to remove the section of floor board to modify the hole.. needs to be cut just a bit bigger..

After it’s modified the gascolator is temp installed like so to make sure it fits.

Remove the unit, put the floor board back in, set the cover in place and hook up the fuel lines to the cover.

Re install the bowl.

All you need is a short chunk of angle drilled like so for a “bracket”

Install the angle to one of the gascolator lugs and either pop rivet or use #8 screws with nuts, riv nuts or whatever to the floor. this is just to keep it in place if you ever remove the bowl in the future.

Remove the screen in this location and save it for your firewall gascolator..

Brian
    Last edited by stevesaircraft(Bri); 11-11-2022 at 12:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Brian , those pics are perfect
    didn’t want to bother you with another phone call yesterday
    On my way to the airport to start the project

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot I even had that gascolator, I have never once found water in my gas.. cessnas I have but the Clipper has never made water. Anyone find water?