Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic question about colt stcs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Basic question about colt stcs

Hey everyone, new member here: Iím looking at buying a colt project and hopefully building it into a somewhat backcountry capable plane while staying certified. Iím a little green in the aviation world so this might be a slightly dumb question but I was wondering if STCs for pacers functionally/legally work on colts since they are in the same family. I havenít seen anything on backcountry STCs for colts, just pacers. Would also love any colt specific STC recommendations to help with off airport performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Basic question about colt stcs

First, welcome to the forum. I have a Colt project I never seem to have time to work on. For a backcountry airplane the first STC would be the tailwheel conversion and the second would be a O-320. Then I would go for a skylight probably and maybe some Tundra tires.
    Your biggest problem with the Colt for backcountry operations, about which I know nothing, would seem to me to be it's O-235 engine. Second would be it's useful load. While the load is plenty with the O-235 and the 2 seats, a PA-22-135 or 150 has a higher useful load. I am not sure if the O-320 STC carries an increase in gross weight with it.
    Let us know where you are located and there may be a member who is close by who has a plane or project you can look at and ask questions about.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply! It already has the tail wheel, STC. It doesn’t have an engine, but the guy who’s selling it has a 135 hp lycoming that I’m hoping to negotiate for. I fly out of Marina California

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

The 135 you're considering may be problematic if it's not fairly low time. Rebuilding, or even some of the larger repairs one may require are sometimes difficult as parts are scarce and expensive too. A mid time or better 150 would be worth a second thought.

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to the guy with the project and the engine. Looks like it has about 1300 hrs. Would you say that’s too much for it to be worth buying or not
    Last edited by Kartiní kid; 11-14-2022 at 06:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is more than about half what a similar O-320-A would cost, save your money for the O-320.

I donít think there are any STCs to increase the gross weight on a PA-22-108, so you are stuck with the 1650 gross. Also keep in mind that for a ďback countryĒ airplane you wonít have flaps and again I donít think there is any STC to put TriPacer wings on a Colt.

Recognize the limitations and if it still fits your mission go for it. I decided to stay with the O-235 in my Clipper. Would I like more power, sure, but the O-235 should do fine and it has a fresh overhaul!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

In regards to flaps or lack there of that’s definitely something I’m aware of. I’ve talked with some people who have a little bit more experience in this field and one of them said that it should still work fine in an off airport situation but I’d love to hear more opinions from anyone who has experience flying these in the bush

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again,

....."Looks like it has about 1300 hrs. Would you say that’s too much for it to be worth buying or not".....

The 135 hp 0290 has a "recommended" time for overhaul of 1,500 hours. Many owners have stories of them running much longer without problems, but that's true of the 150 hp versions too. If you could share the price, and expected condition of the engine, there are many people frequenting here with vast knowledge of its worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Any STC that would apply to a Colt will have PA22-105 in the Approved Model List (AML). If you truly want to do back country flying I would consider a Pacer since it has flaps and most already have 150/160 hp. If money is the issue, buy it, fly the hound out of it and learn, learn, learn just realize the limitations.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Steve about choosing the Pacer. The flaps on the Shortwings aren’t sophisticated fowlers etc, and they are often underrated by some, but they do make one heck of a difference.

As far as meeting a budget, I’d seriously consider a Tri-Pacer with 150 or 160 hp. Put some VGs on and perhaps one of the modified tip STCs, and then pitch the prop to between 56 and 58 inches.

She won’t be a gravel bar hopper, but certainly a capable and robust back-country airplane with good useful load!

Best of luck with your search!

John