Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: J16 battery $199. at batterymart

Post Thanks / Like

Default J16 battery $199. at batterymart

Gill AGM is 7 pounds heavier but has Mopower, I like Mopower.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PA-16; 11-16-2022 at 06:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: J16 battery $199. at batterymart

Never had a problem with the J16 cranking my high compression O320-160. I am on my 3rd J16. The first two I used for 8 years each and they were still cranking. Replaced them as a precaution in winter weather. I still use them to jumpstart the grass field equipment. I had two Gills, only got about 2+ years out of each of them. I have never used a battery tender on the J16’s.
    I like less weight and longer battery life.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats why I posted the sale of the j16, a good price if someone wants to try it and see if it fits their needs. The j16 I had didnt last 3 years, would not hold a charge. I like the East Penn batteries and have had great results with cheap agm batteries as well, a lot more than the 3 years I got out of the j16. I could have got a bad one, they cant all be great. Were the gills you had that didnt last wet cells or AGM?

Post Thanks / Like

Back up to $219 now.

I will have feedback on the more powerful 7 pound heavier Gill AGM after a bit of time, just bought one from ACS for $278. with free shipping, it has a 5 star rating from 31 reviews there at Aircraft Spruce https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal....php#prReviews

So I expect it will outlast the J16 that I had go bad after 3 years.
    Last edited by PA-16; 11-17-2022 at 09:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA-16 View Post
    Thats why I posted the sale of the j16, a good price if someone wants to try it and see if it fits their needs. The j16 I had didnt last 3 years, would not hold a charge. I like the East Penn batteries and have had great results with cheap agm batteries as well, a lot more than the 3 years I got out of the j16. I could have got a bad one, they cant all be great. Were the gills you had that didn't last wet cells or AGM?
    AGM batteries (and other types) can be adversely affected by charging or maintaining with the wrong type of charger.
    A friend used the wrong type of battery maintainer on his J16 and it swelled up in a very frightening way.
    Be sure to read the documents supplied with your battery and research the correct type of charging equipment and regimen to keep them operating properly for many years.
    Also be sure the voltage regulator on your plane is properly adjusted.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about this discussion .. does anyone know what is different from one battery to another? Is it just a crap shoot, or is one brand built better than another brand? I am guessing that the Gill battery that Gilbert had go bad at two years was a wet acid and not an AGM, maybe he will confirm that. I have had wet cells die early from not being used and being in a cold winter climate, but AGM bats are not affected by the cold or sitting for long periods of no use like wet cells are.
    Last edited by PA-16; 11-19-2022 at 12:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been using J16’s for about 18 years; 2 @ 8 years each and the latest is 2 years old.
    Since Gill only recently offered sealed batteries I am sure they were wet cell.
    Incidentally the wet cell in my truck died yesterday at 4 years old. I was able to start it with one of the 8 year old J16’s I keep charged for emergencies.

I have heard of early failures of J16’s but never had direct knowledge of the details. Theoretically they are susceptible to over charge, swelling up and blowing out the over-pressure valve but this causes no damage to its surroundings. That is why it does not need to be in a battery box. A a wet cell will boil out the water and acid. Piper battery boxes have fresh air supply and overboard vents to limit the damage from wet cells.
    Check your fabric behind that vent and the battery box for corrosion at annual.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 11-19-2022 at 09:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I lost an Odyssey battery because I forgot to turn the master switch off. Before reading they may not be recoverable from a full discharge, I've learned my lesson. Stronger longer has been my experience too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

I lost an Odyssey battery because I forgot to turn the master switch off. Before reading they may not be recoverable from a full discharge, I've learned my lesson. Stronger longer has been my experience too.
    I have brought them back with a low amperage 6 volt charger or wire parallel with another battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Steve, I wish I would have known that earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN33XBK6b7k