Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trim Covers?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trim Covers?

So doing an Owner assisted annual, and my mechanic said he’s never seen these before, I’ve also never seen them on another Tripacer. Bought the plane with them installed. Have you all seen these before? Probably going to take em off, would like to leave em on tho.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trim Covers?

I haven’t seen anything like it before. Just looks like a possible issue….

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they would whistle or chatter or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost seems to make more sense to run them inside the cover. But I'd hate to wonder what they could get snarled up with if they came loose?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Never seen them but ingenious idea to try and keep the dirt out. Gives me some ideas to refine that design a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

I've thought about it before, after I read about cub guy that ended up with a bees nest in the fuse (talk about "aviate, navigate, communicate" concentration)
    My thought was "brushes" attached on the inside of the covers. Kinda like what you would see on a car floor mount shifter. As the trim moves through positions, it sweeps between the centerline of brushes attached along both sides of the slot in the cover.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by J Ryd; 11-17-2022 at 09:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a PA22/20 that had a clear plastic panel that rode on the LE of the stab (one each side of fuselage) and covered the openings.
    I can't recall how they were attached to the tubular section but probably similar to what was pictured in Fatts' photo in #1.
    I thought I took a photo of it but that was maybe four years ago, on a phone that I no longer own.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a bird deterrent.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably taking them off, I have flown over 100 hours with them on with no issue, better safe than sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Who hasn’t looked at that gaping hole and wondered if something more elegant could be done about it. Stock solution is probably the simplest and safest, but you would think there could be a reasonable engineering compromise design to deal with all the things mentioned earlier, mud dobbers, critters and their nests, dirt and debris that turns into mud on the inside of your plane when it gets wet, etc. I wonder if some silicone baffle seal material might be used with maybe only attachment on the leading edge. Or maybe it’s a vertical slit in the silicone right up the middle. Just a thought.