Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Instrument Panel CAD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Instrument Panel CAD

Looking to redo the panel. Does anyone have a CAD file for Instrument Panel? PA-22-160 1959.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Instrument Panel CAD

Working things out with another for the colt using Solidworks. Are you looking for a cut file? DXF? If your measurement are close to the attached drawing I could import them to Solidworks and generate a cut file or g code.

Post Thanks / Like

I start with a panel drawing and erase all the un-needed lines in Microsoft paint. I then clean up all the pixels until I have a clearer drawing. In Solidworks I import the Microsoft paint JPG. Next, I use the auto measure function on any item and Solidworks will scale the drawing for me. I then sketch new lines over the drawing until it is roughed in. The last thing I do is delete the imported Microsoft paint JPG. Now you have a Solidworks part file that you can do a whole bunch of things with, edit, cut instrument holes, turn 3D, calculate bends, add bends and create dxf files for cutting on a laser or water jet.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vagabondblues. I was going to give a try at FreeCad but if you have a DXF file or can make one, that would help. Local machine shop said they can water-jet cut. I need to go measure the panel tomorrow but it does look similar to the top sketch and also the one on far right with "bump" up on the left center. Plan on making standard 6-pack on left (adding 2 AV-30s), Ram mount for iPad mini top center, radio stack in center and just better organize right side.

Post Thanks / Like

I have cad / dxf files of mine if interested.

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eacfly View Post
    Thanks Vagabondblues. I was going to give a try at FreeCad but if you have a DXF file or can make one, that would help. Local machine shop said they can water-jet cut. I need to go measure the panel tomorrow but it does look similar to the top sketch and also the one on far right with "bump" up on the left center. Plan on making standard 6-pack on left (adding 2 AV-30s), Ram mount for iPad mini top center, radio stack in center and just better organize right side.
    I can make a .dxf for a one piece overlay using .032" 6061-T6. You could pick up the existing nut plates for the overlays as the attach points, or even flush rivet. I put the gaurdian I pad mini in my drawing, cleans up the yoke. I also borrowed a annunciator light from a Archer, copied it, and added it to the hump. Seemed like something should go there with the N number. I also found the opening for the narco radios, should be able to fit over your radios without disturbing them.

Todd
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 01-14-2024 at 03:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Made a 3d of the AV 30 and gaurdian I pad mini. Also found the needed dimensions for the fuselage fittings to size my drawing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I need to take the time to learn CAD. I am envious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I need to take the time to learn CAD. I am envious.
    I learned using the EAA Solidworks $45.00 subscription and watching videos on Youtube. Would you like to make a spot on this site for shared work? A "Makers" space sort of as a Membership benefit.
    DFX files (Drawing Format Exchange) only and some artwork, signs, windspinners that kind of thing.

Todd
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 01-16-2024 at 09:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is a good idea. I will talk to SJ about it.