Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lycoming O-320-A2B

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Lycoming O-320-A2B

Hello
    I am the current owner of a piper pa-20 with a lycoming o-320-A2B narrow deck, i reached 2000hr and at last annual I found lots of metal, and found out one lobe of my cam was almost gone and another too. Due to the hours I took the engine appart to pull the cam.
    engine needs an overhaul, I am a canadian AME and aircraft is owner maintenance category so I could do the overhaul myself but not sure yet I will go down this road.
    After looking at my options for parts i realized my engine is pretty old and the cam PN 74166 and Assy 74167 is almost impossible to find or at hefty prices.
    The only O/H shop near me quoted me 4Kcad$ for one 74166 cam, and 34kcad for a complete O/H.
    I know the Lw18840 can be installed when modifying the accessory case, on my engine the case is PN 69166.
    Do you know of FAA repair station in the U/S that would be able to modify my case or does anyone has an accessory case that would fit my engine crankcase according to SL1218A.

I am even tempted to find a good used engine at that point, the engine will worth a lot more than the whole plane itself, what other engines canI start looking into with conical mounts ?

thanks a lot for your help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lycoming O-320-A2B

DivCo in Tulsa, OK modified the case on my O-320 a few years ago. Seem to have done a good job: https://www.divcoinc.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasongould View Post
    DivCo in Tulsa, OK modified the case on my O-320 a few years ago. Seem to have done a good job: https://www.divcoinc.com/
    thanks a lot for the quick reply I just contacted them to check if they can modify my case.

Post Thanks / Like

Check some used aircraft parts dealer for the cam that fits without modification of the accessory case.
    I’d bet money that Elaine at Enparts has one
    (972) 227-0086.
    I’m sure others can pipe in with other salvage shops that are worth calling.

You can ship the pieces off individually to get overhauled. The case to Nickson, crank, connecting rods, rockers, and timing gears to Aircraft Specialties Services. And personally I’d go new jugs.
    Then with a gasket kit and the manual you can reassemble. There’s a Service Instruction 1125D that explains the use of flange sealant in lieu of plio bond and thread. I recommend the flange sealant. Does a better job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is an easy modification of the accessory case. I will have to look but remember a service instruction, seems like I did one in the past. Will have to research and possibly jog my memory. It is going from the two piece to one piece cam. I would install a new cam and new Lycoming DLC lifters. End of cam spalling.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my non-integral camshaft and lifters reman from Colorado Air Parts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Assembled an O-360 yesterday after 250 hours on a reman cam and lifters which was done some 200 plus hours prior to that. Used Lycoming tappets which have the DLC (diamond like coating) which all my sources inform me does away with the spalling issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve I have some new Superior lifters do you know if they can be sent out to be coated? Is it worth upgrading to DLC coated ones before I put engine together?
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You might find someone to coat them for experimental. I have changed probably 10 sets of cams and lifters in the last several years, it is a must do for me if the case is split.

Post Thanks / Like

All but two my lifters failed 1400 hours after they were they were resurfaced. Cam was basically good. Could be reground.
    I installed a new Lycoming cam and DLC lifters to insure I never split that case again.