Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spar reinforcement / exp. Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spar reinforcement / exp. Pacer

106.jpg

Here are the spar reinforcemnt pieces.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

110.jpg

Here is the way the Superpacer reinforces the outter wing.

Post Thanks / Like

111.jpg

Superpacer spar reinforcement. I have seen the video of the wing load testing for this STC. The Superpacer wing is extremely strong. I know of one stretched Pacer who did not do this reinforcment. He is a highly experienced Super Cub mechanic and nerver trusted the wing strength and refused to sell the plane because of potential liability. The plane was ultimately destroyed.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pictures, thank you Stephen. Does anyone sell those reinforcement parts outright? Or is it all done through the stc?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoatRoper View Post
    Nice pictures, thank you Stephen. Does anyone sell those reinforcement parts outright? Or is it all done through the stc?
    I made my own, which took a couple of days. I think James Smith the owner of the STC was interested in having sets made up, not sure it happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I made my own, which took a couple of days. I think James Smith the owner of the STC was interested in having sets made up, not sure it happened.
    Smith is working with Southern Aero to have the spar reinforcement plates made on a CNC mill.
    http://southernaero.net/contact.html

AL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just Call Me Al View Post
    Smith is working with Southern Aero to have the spar reinforcement plates made on a CNC mill.
    http://southernaero.net/contact.html

AL
    I wish I had this option.

BTW, relocating ailerons and flaps binge brackets when your wing is open is not that big of a deal. I would not determine my flap and ailerons sizes based on existing location's. Select what you think is the ideal size for your control surfaces. You may regret compromising.

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning guys. Took year off to work on house addition. Back at gathering wing parts currently. Does any one have a good picture of the compression strut and drag wire set-up at the lift strut fittings? As wires are doubled outboard of this area, what is configuration at the strut fitting?
    Thanks
    GR

Post Thanks / Like

There are other ways to do this rather than double wires. They are just to keep the wing from twisting with the ailerons moved out to the tip.
    Last edited by Southern Aero; 03-14-2024 at 09:38 AM. Reason: posted in wrong spot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoatRoper View Post
    Hi all,
    Building an experimental stretched Pacer. Fuselage repairs and mods complete, primed and painted and on her gear. Looking for information on spars. I received wing materials with this project, Carlson spars , ribs etc.
    Question is if I want to achieve 2100, 2200 gross weight what if any reinforcing I need to add to spars?
    I have Blanton plans so I'm aware of how that's done but looking for more up to date methods if possible.
    Thanks ,

TW
    Since you’re experimental, it’s really up to you as to how much you want to reinforce the wing. I picked up some spar doublers from EA structures out of Canada, I know southern aero makes a nice set as well.