Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: PA 20 front gear bracket gussets.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking PA 20 front gear bracket gussets.

Dear All,
    So I went out and bought the Piper drawings CD, best thing, i should have done this at the start, anyway, could someone please assist me, on drawing 21242 regarding the front gear bracket, they have gussets marked B1272-15 and a note not used on model P-17,then a T over a C PA20.
    Could anyone please clarify the CT and if these gussets are fitted to the PA-20.

Thanks Guys
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PA 20 front gear bracket gussets.

I looked at the drawing and do not know what that means.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bill,

Those big triangles aren't used on either a PA-16 or PA-20. Those are using a front gear mount that is quite a bit different, there isn't even room for the gussets. They also aren't used for the gear change from a 22 to a 20 that Univair is offering.

Drawing LPC-1031 shows why. LPC = Light Plane Components, the originators of the gear change from a 22 to a 20. The mounts available from Univair are not bent on an angle as shown on the drawing, or mounted to the tubing the same. Their fittings are mounted on an angle and a gusset on the outside face instead.
    Last edited by Jim; 02-06-2023 at 02:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for clarifying that for me, a bit confusing as the drawing is in the PA-20 drawing folder.
    Brgds
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bill,

I'm currently replacing mine and my mechanic asked if I was getting the gussets too. I'd never seen them before, my A&P is a mostly Cub guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,
    I am busy on a 22 to 20 conversion, so new gear and brackets with top hat bushes, i might just fit the gussets for addition bracing and spreading of the loads on the front brackets. Also have to replace the now rear gear bushes, quite a job.
    Enjoy, my fuselage is ready for spraying after this gear bracket bush and gussets and then slow assembly will start... a long way to go still..

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again,

I'm adding a 2" or so gusset down there myself, at the fitting, going forward along the tube edge, between the bottom longeron and the tube heading up toward the top of the firewall. My brother and I did the conversion in 82. I'm down for a while too but making things proper before turning the plane over to our daughter. She had her first ride before she was named, actually my wife was still developing her.
    , 1984.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jim,
    82, that's a while back, i was 9 then, anyway I'm sure your daughter will enjoy the airplane, they are really lovey old airy's.