Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SL1069 control cables

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default SL1069 control cables

While attempting to rig the elevator cables on our Tri-Pacer, it was discovered that the elevator cable positions were swapped during installation in 1976. It has been annualed this way since then. What was even more concerning was that when the cables were removed and inspected, the copper nicropress fittings were cracked more than halfway through on three out of four ends. I would strongly suggest that any aircraft cable, especially original cables be inspected per Service Letter 1069.
    N2709P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: SL1069 control cables

Quote Originally Posted by N2709P View Post
    While attempting to rig the elevator cables on our Tri-Pacer, it was discovered that the elevator cable positions were swapped during installation in 1976. It has been annualed this way since then. What was even more concerning was that when the cables were removed and inspected, the copper nicropress fittings were cracked more than halfway through on three out of four ends. I would strongly suggest that any aircraft cable, especially original cables be inspected per Service Letter 1069.
    N2709P
    Can you post a picture?

Did an annual on my bankers Cherokee 180 recently and there is an AD that reads much like the service letter on the elevator cable turnbuckles.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 03-25-2023 at 07:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting ready to replace my rudder and elevator cables with galvanized cables due to corrosion.
    Is there a product that is commonly used on aircraft control cables for corrosion prevention?
    I'm assuming something MIL-PRF-16173 compliant?
    I would like to apply it to the new cables when I am ready to install them. It won't eliminate Service Letter 1069, but it might help extend the life of the cables from premature corrosion.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm...I looked at AC 43-4B and it says:
    "Control cables may present a corrosion problem whether of carbon steel or stainless steel construction. Bare spots in the preservative coating is a main contributing factor in cable corrosion. Determine cable condition by cleaning the cable assembly, inspecting for corrosion, and applying an approved preservative if no corrosion is found. If external corrosion is found, relieve tension on the cable and check internal strands for corrosion. Cables with corrosion on internal strands should be replaced. Pay particular attention to sections passing through fairleads, around sheaves, and grooved bell-crank arms. External corrosion should be removed by a clean, dry, coarse rag or fiber brush. After complete corrosion removal, apply a preservative."

It doesn't give any guidance of what to use for a preservative for general/regular use aircraft, but for agricultural aircraft it says:
    "Non-stainless steel control cables should be coated with paralketone or equivalent protective coating, or should be replaced with corrosion-resistant cables. "

So should I use paralketone? It specifically lists it under ag aircraft, so I'm not sure if I can apply it to my cables or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

New cables are coated. I have found frayed cables but not any corroded cables that I can remember.

Post Thanks / Like

That's great! Thanks.
    Where do you order galvanized control cable and hardware from?

Post Thanks / Like

When I/we replaced a couple cables on 57A, if I remember correctly they came from Aircraft Spruce -- galvanized. My A&P had the tool to put the ends on.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Walt. I have access to swage tools, but wasn't sure where to get cable, turnbuckles, ferrules, etc. I'll figure out what all I need and then check out Aircraft Spruce.

Post Thanks / Like

McMaster Carr has cable and thimble and nico press fittings as does lots of hardware stores. Just check the spool for the correct MIL-SPEC. Noco press fittings are commercial from Loos Company, not aircraft specific. The thimbles are AN parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Steve,
    We are traveling right now. We will post pics when we return to our hangar. Thanks!
    ~~Marsha