Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ownership longevity, how long have you owned your short wing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ownership longevity, how long have you owned your short wing?

Reading the silly “minor modification” thread got me to pondering ownership of these birds and how long people keep them in the stable.

I’ll start with ours. 1956 model bought in 1980 as a tri-Pacer. So 43 years of ownership.

Fuselage fabric was a bit ragged but dad decided to paint it to make it last a couple more years. He took every bit of left over Poly-Tone can of paint from other projects and mixed them in a 5 gallon bucket until he had enough to paint the fuselage. Turned it bright orange. Lol.

Later on we converted it to PA-20 gear, installed a 0-360 A4M on a one time STC approval. Recovered it and painted yellow and brown stripes. Several modifications over the years including our skylight STC, rudder trim STC, Demer wing tips, Charley Center STOL cuff, and a set of long range tanks field approved.

Although we have had the Pacer for that long our 1953 Ag model Super Cub has been in the family longer. My grandfather bought that airplane in 1966.

Let’s here some ownership stories..

-Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stevesaircraft(Bri); 06-28-2023 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added photos

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ownership longevity, how long have you owned your short wing?

I bought my PA 22 as a Tri Pacer in 1984 for less than $4k. It had failed it's annual for low compression and bad fabric. The fabric was actually fine, the paint was bad. I flew it for a year as a Tri Pacer. I was able to fly from our island to the mainland most days with my two very young daughters to see my wife - their mother, who spent much of that year in the hospital. In 1985, I took the plane apart. As a new A&P, I planned to fix it up. But, building our house and raising our girls became priority. In 2000, with a engine OH, all new fabric, a new left door, Pacer gear and a sky light (thanks Brian) it was finally ready to go. Most years since then I have added new mods including; sticks, Dakota tanks, all new instrument panel, SC tail feathers and landing gear, then the Super Pacer stretch. My travels in my Pacer has added many friends to my life.
    Last edited by Stephen; 06-27-2023 at 11:00 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I've still got that new plane smell. Picked up my Colt about a month ago. Flew it from the Sacramento area to just outside of LA where it is based now. No mods yet, just enjoying flying it. Trying to sort out a low vacuum issue that is causing some instrument issues but it's not impacting VFR flying. So far I've put about 15 hours on it since picking it up, even with our typical June gloom weather.
    IMG_6229.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

My brother and I bought a tired looking Tri-Pacer in 1982, switched the gear around that first winter along with adding the droop tips. Flew it for ten years then I bought out my brothers share and recovered it as well as SB819. 85 feet worth of tubing to repair. https://jself.com/N1300C/repair/index.htm In 2007 I switched out the 0-290 for a fresh dynafocal hung 0-320 150 hp. Currently I've been repairing and upgrading in anticipation of turning the plane over to our daughter Abby. For the most part I've always just played with it around the Midwest but did once upon a time fly it out to the west coast. From Michigan through Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona etc. After California for a week we came home touching Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming etc.

Tri.jpg

I'm happy our daughter eventually became interested in having the plane, enough to have her license and tail wheel signoffs. If you ever get into Ft. Lauderdale Executive Airport, stop in and say Hi to her, she manages the Banyon Pilot Shop there.

1992.jpg

Painting.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my first Shortwing, a 1950 125 HP PA20, N7652K, in 1975 at age 20 with a fresh PPl cert in my wallet. In 1977 I traded up to a much nicer and recently restored 1957 150HP PA-22, N6126D, and still have it today. It was converted to TW and recovered with Stitts process including the Skylight mod in 1991 at Steve’s Beagle Skyranch hangar. Mostly minor upgrades over the years since then like conversion to new Cleveland wheels & disk brakes, Univair sealed struts, Lyc nitrated cylinder kits, new 74DM6-58 prop, new comm, transponder/enc, and Sky-Beacon ASDB. Flew this 22/20 to OSH 12 times between year 2000 and 2020. I inherited a ‘59 Comanche 250 from my Dad several years ago and that project has been my focus aviation wise in recent years. Got my A&P about 12 years ago, so stay busy in my retirement working maintaining and updating these two Vintage Piper classics.
    IMG_5905.jpegIMG_5837.jpegimg_1602.jpegECB78AAC-5A3C-4D6F-9DD0-0074FA5BAC0E.jpeg
    Last edited by Brian; 06-28-2023 at 09:02 PM.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bought mine in 2019 from a United Pilot in Denver. Didnt have the skills or fortitude to fly it home so I hired a ferry pilot who held my hand as I flew her home to San Diego. After tons of pattern work I tamed the beast and finally got to where I wanted to be. In the Dirt. Put bigger tires and VG's on Her then removed the cloth from the gear.
    Completely satisfied

IMG_9910.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sierrasplitter View Post
    Bought mine in 2019 from a United Pilot in Denver. Didnt have the skills or fortitude to fly it home so I hired a ferry pilot who held my hand as I flew her home to San Diego. After tons of pattern work I tamed the beast and finally got to where I wanted to be. In the Dirt. Put bigger tires and VG's on Her then removed the cloth from the gear.
    Completely satisfied

IMG_9910.jpg
    How do you like the VGs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I bought 31D from a gentleman in Monterey, Ca 11 years ago. First plane, only plane. Together we've flown from Monterey, Ca to Stafford, Va. Lived in Erie, PA for five years. Second quick stop in Richmond, Va and now we are enjoying the FL living in Pensacola. I have had the opportunity to fly to OshKosh, Sun N Fun and all sorts of stops in between. She's a good and reliable girl, I look forward to many more years with her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How do you like the VGs?
    They seem to work as advertised. More positive control / feel at lower approach speeds . Maybe in my head but also feels better climbing out . Worth the money I think

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased my PA22/20-150 24 years ago and have put about 2,500 hours on it. Switched to a wide deck 160 HP engine in 2008 when the old engine was at almost 2,500 hours. I started restoring the Pacer three years ago working on one part of the airplane each year for about two to three month, then fly it the rest of the year. Should finish the right wing in the next two weeks to make it to OSH. I have flown it from VA to California, attended the High Sierra fly-in in 2019 and take a trip out West every year for some backcountry flying. Great airplane to travel.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z