Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Hope not to have to pull the exhaust to re-rivet the muffler shroud

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hope not to have to pull the exhaust to re-rivet the muffler shroud

I'm just looking for ideas here.
    Looks like the rivets on the muffler shroud have failed.
    I like to not have to pull the exhaust and muffler to fix it.
    Any ideas or tools anyone can think of.
    Pic attached20240119_112602.jpg
    Thx
    Curt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hope not to have to pull the exhaust to re-rivet the muffler shroud

Not from my perspective. I had some "hairline cracks" on one end that my A&P noticed a few years ago. We (he) went ahead and pulled the exhaust & muffler, and it's a good thing we did. The whole interior of the muffler was loose & rattling and BOTH ends had cracked, things we had no idea of when we started. Ended up sending it to Dawley for a --desperately needed-- complete rebuild.

Unless that muffler's very new or recently repaired, I seriously recommend pulling it and giving it a thorough look-over --there's lots of stuff not visible/noticeable until you do. Yeah, I know it's a pain, but IMHO that's not something to skimp on....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is not a structural part. Maybe a Cherry rivet or a stainless steel pop rivet. Stainless screw and AN363 nut.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    It is not a structural part. Maybe a Cherry rivet or a stainless steel pop rivet. Stainless screw and AN363 nut.
    Looks like the holes are oversized, might be hard to get a cherry in there and having it hold unless you strap the backside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Screws ad nuts are the easiest option in my opinion looking at the clearance. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input.. It's pretty tight either way... We will see. .

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

If you could get a washer on the inside using a paint mixing stick with a hole for allowing a pop rivet to pass through you could tape a washer to the stick and maybe pull off a pop rivet fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm feeling your pain! during my annual this year we had the same issue. Got some brand spanking new rivets in there now. My mechanic tried a couple of different methods, we just ended up pulling the muffler out. Had to replace the stacks on the engine anyways, so it all just came out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input. I've pulled the muffler and it would end up being a patch on patches and maybe hold me for another couple years. I'd love to have a more than 2 years before I have to pull my exhaust again.

Univair has a new one for $800 and I've seen some pretty ugly ones for $200.. and maybe a good tin guy can craft one for less?

Is there a recommendation from the group?

I think a new one might be the best option?
    Or if there is a clean used one, but I'm not seeing one.

Thx
    Curt

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries