Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Pacer restoration, one area at each year

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pacer restoration, one area at each year

I started the restoration of my Pacer in 2020 after 21 years of ownership. In 2020 I restored all metal firewall forward and in 2021 I did the same from the doorpost forward to the firewall, refurbished or replaced the metal on the belly and also installed all new windows. In 2022 I did the left wing (Recovering the left wing on my Pacer (shortwingpipers.org)) and in 2023 the right wing (Recovering the right wing on my Pacer (shortwingpipers.org)).
    This week I started to take care of the doors. The doors came off after I returned from Sun & Fun and I will reskin and repaint them. So, it will be a relatively short project this year. I was also going to do the tail, but I will have to wait until we know what comes out of the rudder post AD.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pacer restoration, one area at each year

Juergen,

Was wondering how your trip to Sun N Fun went this year. Any videos from your trip coming out? Enjoy seeing what you will restore next. Any consideration to doing something like a seaplane or patrol door and just covering with lexan? Would that be difficult to do?

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Greg, I didn't shoot a video this time. I already have two or three Sun & Fun videos on my channel. After a while they all look the same. However, I did make the 711 NM none stop this year from OKV (Winchester, VA) to LAL in 5 hours 41 minutes and still had 11 gallons of fuels left in the left main tank.

I'm not doing anything special to the doors. I like the original look. I'm just reskinning the doors with fresh aluminum panels and repaint to make them look like new. Of course, you never know what you find on a 64-year-old airplane. I knew my front door had some corrosion on the front bottom corner and I fixed that. However, when I wire brushed the rear passenger door I found that someone "fixed" some corrosion on the doorframe using bondo to fill the holes.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Picture 1: Bondo in the door frame
    Picture 2: Front door fixed with the part I cut out
    Picture 3: New door skin going on
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You've talked about one legging it down to Sun N Fun in the past. Pretty awesome you made it this time. Not sure I have the bladder to accomplish that far of a distance. The restoration is looking great. Understand about the original look of the doors. Great catch on the bond filler and the repair. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

I also enjoy watching you progress. I am pleased to
    see that you haven’t found any big ugly surprises.
    Your videos are really good-I just watched your
    Hudson River night flight again (4th time I’ve seen it)

AL