Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Odyssey Battery

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Odyssey Battery

I would do the breaker switch upgrade with a logbook entry as well but some do not agree with my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I would do the breaker switch upgrade with a logbook entry as well but some do not agree with my opinion.
    Based on Parts 43 and 65, it is the INSTALLER that makes the Minor/Major determination. Doesn't really matter what others think as long as the determination was made using the applicable regulations and guidance! 14 CFR 1.1, 21.93, 43 Appendix A, AC 43-210A, Order 8300.16A. Years ago, the Major/Minor determination was much more subjective and a lot of FAA Inspectors were classifying Minor Alterations as Major. With the guidance provided in AC43-120 and Order 8300.16, an Objective determination can be made much easier and many of the things that FAA considered Major are shown to actually be Minor. Use the FAA Guidance to your advantage! If in doubt, document the decision process in your log book entry.

Post Thanks / Like

AC 43-210-A page 13 and 14 for the Minor/Major alteration decision tree.

Post Thanks / Like

And just like lawyers don’t ask a witness a question unless they know the answer, never ask FAA a question unless you already know the answer and have the references to back up your position!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    And just like lawyers don’t ask a witness a question unless they know the answer, never ask FAA a question unless you already know the answer and have the references to back up your position!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly, They say "NO", I say "well according to yaddayaddayadda.." The following silence is deafening.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why guys like you are worth your weight in gold. Having the breadth of knowledge to quote the FAA scripture right back at them is priceless. Most of us mere mortals would be stopped in our tracks...at least I know that I would be.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

30 plus years of dealing with them and taking notes. Probably should have picked a different vocation.

Post Thanks / Like

After reading these comments about batteries, I, as a private pilot, aircraft owner can legally replace my Gill battery with an Odyssey under the owner maintenance provisions? Same as replacing Gill with a Gill? Change to W & B?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

An A&P would need to do the structural modification, logbook entry and weight and balance revision. After that the owner could replace the battery with the same model.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I did, using Bogert Aviation's STC (oops...not Svenn's). I did the work, but it needed to be inspected, approved & signed off by my A&P (as well as an adjustment to W&B sheet). Next time, I'll be able to change the battery with no further action by an A&P.

DSC09765.jpg Bogert battery box mod invoice.pdf