Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: SB 819 Fuselage Door Frame Corrosion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sb 819

Thanks, Jim. Just to clarify, the only inspection holes that I am contemplating are in the non-structural door and window trim sheetmetal pieces that cover and hide the tubing. These inspection holes would be covered to help keep dirt and moisture out and be easily removable for future inspections. If the tubing has not been compromised by someone drilling a hole for an attachment, ala the wing struts, I have rarely seen a Piper fuselage tube rust from the inside out. They were sloshed with boiled linseed oil and then welded closed. It would be nice if a supplier made a new fuselage structure from 4130 tubing like the J-3/Pa-18 though.
    N2709P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: SB 819 Fuselage Door Frame Corrosion

I merged your thread with another on the subject. I believe the Rotabroach can be used to drill holes to inspect without removing the channels. Some pictures in this thread where I did this on some late model Super Cubs. https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...oor-Frame-Rust

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you Steve! With your experience with these airframes, do you think that all tubing described in SB 819 could be adequately inspected by a boroscope? In other words, could you place inspection ports in all areas necessary to do a proper inspection?
    N2709P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you could get a good idea of what you have. I would start on the bottom of the vertical tubes and the rear door sill.

Post Thanks / Like

I scanned through this long thread, but am still wondering how the water gets in there in the first place. The lower rear window channel? Secondly, should there be a strategically placed drain hole(s) somewhere? Where, exactly?
    Thx!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Subsonic,

......."drain hole(s) somewhere? Where, exactly?"

When these frames were built they didn't drill holes from one to another so their innards could be oiled all at once. Since all the tubes are individual there's not much you can hope to accomplish with a few drain holes to oil in, and they couldn't be drained either. Even a small rusted through hole from the exterior will allow the humidity in and it'll never leave. A failed seal on T
    hermopane window turns into a humidity trapping greenhouse atmosphere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    I scanned through this long thread, but am still wondering how the water gets in there in the first place. The lower rear window channel? Secondly, should there be a strategically placed drain hole(s) somewhere? Where, exactly?
    Thx!
    Not sure how the water gets in there, maybe the atmosphere. Early J3s had holes drilled in the bottom most aft end of the lower longerons and have found them rusted many feet forward. Have cut into plenty of fuselages that were completely intact and the tubing still oily inside. The only time I find internal corrosion in a steel tube fuselage is when someone drilled a hole or the tube has been cracked for a long time, some way moisture could get in.