Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experimental Modifications.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Experimental Modifications.

What kinds of mods would you do if you didn't have to have FAA approval or you were building an experimental Short Wing?

I would like to play with the thrustline of the engine on a Short Wing.

Clear doors and maybe clear panels in the boot cowl like a Maule.

Rear door like a Maule that would open aft so you could load long stuff.

Extended baggage with the rear tube removable or re-engineered to eliminate it but retain structural integrity.

Aluminum gear covers instead of the fabric that cracks.

Some of these have been done on certified SWs but wondered what others wish list would be.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Experimental Modifications.

I like the idea of a stick control and I wonder how that STC is coming. I think the Thrust-Line mod would be good on a Pacer.
    I guess you call that a PA-14. They sound like a nice airplane with a big engine.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not heard much infomation about anyone trying to get a regular STC for the stick mod. I have sent information my one time STC on this to several people, but nothing so far. It's somewhat of a hassle to put all the info together for for people who think they might want to do the mod, then they find out all the work involved. I would say that it is on par with doing the taildragger conversion.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I'm a sucker for dreaming about possible mods.

Start with PA22 frame, use Steve's cool jig to straighten it.

1. Convert to conventional gear, considering Roger Rupp's one piece alumimun gear idea.
    2. Add both sides front swing-up doors, light weight alumimun with clear plactic, I like the Maul style rear door idea and extended baggage area.
    3. Remove front and rear seat cross tubing, install seats on tracks that move well back for easy acess and adjust up and down. Make rear seat easy pop out.
    4. Move the ailerons out to the wing tip and increase the size of the flaps.
    5. Move flap mechanism to overhead for easy actuation, and eliminate a mile of cable and bunch on pulleys.
    6. Remove mechanical flap system and convert to stick accuated electric motor.
    7. Add flaperons, add a mile of cable and a bunch of pulleys.

opps; and the engine mods.......

What does this make....Pacermaulbeaver, that runs on 8 gph and looks cool

Post Thanks / Like

Stick mod, yes.
    Two pilots doors, yes. Swing up? Even better.
    Trimmer wings, cool.
    Electric flaps? No way, Cessnas suck!

I would have to get radical with the power plant, Turbo, elctronic ignition, C/S prop, a proper exhaust... Or better yet, no Lycoming at all!

I would try and do something with the Eggenfellner Subaru thing, http://www.eggenfellneraircraft.com/ Turbo, fuel injection, electronic ignition, welcome to the twenty first century! Oh yeah, liquid cooling, now we're talking cabin heat...

-sam

Post Thanks / Like

OK, you're right "Cessna's suck", and we don't need no stinking electric trim system.

It's just a little complication in my design for an overhead flap mechanism. When do I put that silly little crank? Actually, I find that I don;t really use it much on short flights. I hardly ever fool with it during approaches and landings. So, just bolt the darn thing in andy position.

I was talking to a Pacer owner yesterday who has owned his plane since the 60's and has flow it numerous times to Alaska. It has a 160 hp with constant speed prop. He says that the best takeoff performance he ever had was with his 150 hp, 82" Borer prop and 30" tires. The the current configeration gives him better performance at gross weight.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done the extended bagage and the electric trim 62 gals gas pilot door. Next will be pa18 flaps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post some pictures. Would love to see it.

Post Thanks / Like

P135, I would love to see and hear how you did your electric trim system.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on the short list for picking up one of NASA's surplus flight computers. From now on, this Pacer is going to land itself.