Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experimental Modifications.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Experimental Modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Bultaco Jim
    I'm on the short list for picking up one of NASA's surplus flight computers. From now on, this Pacer is going to land itself.
    I'd love to see the faces in the tower when you announce you'll be shooting the ALS in a Pacer.

Post Thanks / Like

I did the electric trim with a subaru door window motor and welded on a bracket on the yoke that trips an upper and lower switch.
    I'll take some pics and post.

Post Thanks / Like

I posted pics of the subaru trim, a friends idea, and the extended bagage, Steve Bryant's idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 8.50 tires?

Does anyone have the larger 8.50 tires on the univair taildragger conversion gear, I'd like to put them on and noticed univair only calls for up to the 7" tire. I guess I am just wondering if they are okay to use? Also, I made a really nice template for covering my gear in aluminum and abandoned the idea when I thought of paperwork I might have to do. Does anyone here have any info on a field approval or the best way to go about it? Thanks!

I love this site!! Wish I could contribute but I'm still learning the basics.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have 8.50's approved on my Univair gear, but I do have Goodyear 26" field approved. I would think it would be an easy approval. You may need to have the dual cylinder brake. My Univair STC approved up to 8.00 tires.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve,
    I'll bet my univair stc is the same and I just read it wrong. What do you think of the 8" tires as opposed to the 8.50's. I saw the picture of the comparison and it looks like a pretty big defference. I guess I am just looking for something that doesent look like its gonna fall in a badger hole like the 6's I have now. I've got plenty of long relatively flat spots around here to land on but those patches of grass definitely make me want either a bigger tire to roll over them or a softer tire to take a little of the punishment off the gear. Thanks again!
    Mike T

Post Thanks / Like

Check Andy's site on tire size. The LPC STC with the Clevelands it was 7:00x6 and McCauley's were 8:00x6. I had the McCauleys and the 8:00x6. I have a paper copy around here somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Univair conversion approves up to 800 on Cleveland's. I am running 8.50s right now via field approval. Visibility is not very good over the nose. :shock:

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, The 800's should be fine for what you need, and will be a major change from 600's. Going to 8.50's does give you more hight, but they are more expensive, heavier, slower cruise and as Steve says, more difficult to see when taxiing. While, I like my Goodyear 26" tires, they are not what most people would like. I often land on beaches, sand bars and my farm field is very rough.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks alot guys! For the price, and for no rougher than my strip is I'll take your advice and go with the 8"s for now and see how I like them. Where I'm still learning to fly the pacer I guess I should keep as much visibility over the nose as possible for my landing roll (thats where things have been tricky for me) until I feel more comfortable. Have a good weekend.

Mike T